test

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

MattyB

Has anyone had much experience with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility? I have only just come across it and was interested in what peoples thoughts are and whether anyone has given it a go.

DDuB420

Not yet, went and installed it. Asked me to reboot my PC. I couldn't @ the time because of some of the transfers I was doing for work.
I will try tonight after dinner.

Have you tried it?

MattyB

Alright. I'll forgive you this time. :p

I have put it on my M11x and it looks like the only thing I can adjust it the reference clock. I can't adjust this in the BIOS so that's not so bad. I'll give it a go on my M17x a bit later.

yikes81

I am bored at work. So I will try this on my work machine. *hoping that it will kill it so i can get a new work lappy*

EDIT: DOH ... AMD processor. FAIL!

Last edited:

MattyB

I have installed it on my M17x now. Looks like you can only adjust the reference clock on this program. I believe it was a bit more open on previous versions. I'll have a look later.

Yikes, awesome fail! Try AMD extreme tuning utility! :p

DeRon1

what is this used for m8?? I have it but want to be sure that I don't use it until I know for sure what I am doing and why I'm doing!! ;)

AeonSoul

R: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

Well at least it provides some usage stats D:

MattyB

what is this used for m8?? I have it but want to be sure that I don't use it until I know for sure what I am doing and why I'm doing!! ;)

It's a tool which will help you overclock your CPU if you are unable to do it in your BIOS. From what I see, you can only adjust your reference clock. My M11x runs at 1.7GHz. The reference clock is roughly 100.00MHz and it has a multiplier of 17 to make 1.7GHz. If I bump the reference clock up to 103MHz the CPU will now run at roughly 1.75GHz. This will then increase the turbo speed as well. It can be dangerous though as it will increase temps in your machine and shorten the lifespan of your CPU if you increase the clocks by too much. It's probably best for desktops as it's easier to improve your cooling. It has stress tests you can perform though to see how it will perform. I will probably have a better go at it once my warranty runs out! :D

DDuB420

Any luck with this?

Yea, having a locked CPU is a disadvantage with this utility. Its definitely aimed more at the K series processors with the unlocked multiplier
I do like the stress test feature and it works great on my desktop with my i7-2700k in it.

MattyB

Yea, having a locked CPU is a disadvantage with this utility. Its definitely aimed more at the K series processors with the unlocked multiplier
I do like the stress test feature and it works great on my desktop with my i7-2700k in it.

Awesome. Good to hear you can get some use from it. Maybe I need to upgrade to the 3930K on my ALX then?? :D

Most of the options are greyed out for me?! I run a 3960X!! I can overclock from the bios anyway 4.2 GHz on all cores is the go!