INTEL I7-4930mx

Where in the world do I find this processor for sale from a legit place? I've searched up and down and cannot find it anywhere. When I ordered my laptop I requested this be in it, they sent me the 4700 and now that I've had it for a month all they can say is we are sorry and well credit the difference. I don't want the difference I want THIS processor my next resort is to swap it out myself but I can't find it for sale anywhere. This would be my first time replacing but I really want to do it. Any help please!

MattyB

Your best bet will probably be eBay. I would be hassling Dell about them swapping it over if that's what you ordered. Sounds like they are out of stock though.
The 4930s are around $800-900 so hopefully you can get a good credit and then sell your 4700 for a few hundred.
Swapping the CPU shouldn't be too difficult but I haven't pulled apart a new 18. The older M18x is a bitch to get to the CPU and GPUs though.

scracy

Probably little point in buying the 4930mx as overclocking it beyond what XTU will do with a 4900mq 4.2Ghz or even what you already have will only generate an insane amount of heat,i cant run mine at 4.2Ghz on a warm day just gets way to hot.Being a laptop you just cant really effectively cool the CPU,even laptop coolers are limited. But if you really insist on 4930mx ebay is your best bet as stated before. To remove the CPU just remove the bottom covers then remove the fan and heatsink,download the manual for the 18 and have a read its fairly straight forward.....

Your best bet will probably be eBay. I would be hassling Dell about them swapping it over if that's what you ordered. Sounds like they are out of stock though.
The 4930s are around $800-900 so hopefully you can get a good credit and then sell your 4700 for a few hundred.
Swapping the CPU shouldn't be too difficult but I haven't pulled apart a new 18. The older M18x is a bitch to get to the CPU and GPUs though.

i tried .. its a lost cause.. they just keep on transfering me from one person to another... makes me want to break this thing over someones head. keep naming out departments and putting me on hold making me repeat my story 11 times yesterday to 11 differant people (yes i counted)

MattyB

Wow that's really bad. You guys have it tough in the US. There should be a tech out the next day putting one in for you.

shankc

I can't see the point of paying that much for a CPU that can not be used to its fullest potential. Mind you I don't agree with what Dell/Alienware are doing you paid for 4930mx so you should have got it or they should rectified their mistake. But if I was you I would take the refund as you have dodged a bullet they should not be able to sell a CPU that doesn't perform as intended and that is why Dell have locked the bios so you can't change the multipliers so you can't overclock. But each to their own and if you have paid for it and you still want it they should provide it Good Luck

scracy

You can overclock any cpu in the Alienware 18 with XTU,i have overclocked my 4900MQ upto 4.2Ghz on all 4 cores. Trouble is the Vcore required to run at 4.2Ghz combined the Vring for the uncore to run at the same speed generates a hell of a lot of heat. To give you an idea i did an XTU benchmark run yesterday and scored 1029 XTU points (higher than any 4930MX on HWBOT) and that run generated 100 degrees C!!! Point being 4930MX is a complete waste of money given it will produce just as much heat as a 4700MQ,4800MQ,4900MQ etc for the same clockspeed any thing above that clockspeed will require more volts and generate even more heat as a result,completely pointless unless Dell find a way of getting rid of that heat (better fan tables would be a good start). A stock 4900MQ in Alienware 18 tops out at 3100Mhz with all cores loaded 100%,Intel specification says it should top out at 3600Mhz with all cores loaded 100%,easily fixed with XTU and a decent laptop cooler. I suspect Dell knows it cant get rid of the heat under all conditions thats why the bios is locked and why it is underclocked by 500Mhz.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2513903_scracy_xtu_core_i7_4900mq_1029_marks

Last edited:

Sarah

Hi Fast - there are a couple of 4930mx processors on ebay.co.uk for under £600 right now if you look. Not sure if you can buy from the UK site in the US but they are definitely out there for sale :)