iPad Air

MattyB

Ordered myself an iPad Air yesterday. I've never had a tablet before and I told myself I was never buying Apple again but here I am, falling for all the marketing hoopla.
I have read many good reviews though so I'm expecting big things.

ejohnson

My wife has a ipad mini, for casual things its great. I dont ever really see my self doing much on a tablet other than surfing the web or watching videos, so it works great for that.

Im still holding out for a alienware tablet though... hoping the new cpu's that come out with have some better power use than the haswell.

But, I do really want a xperia z tablet. Would be great for handing over to my daughter since its waterproof.

shankc

I have a Asus nexus 7 and I love it for forums and surfing the net well worth the money. It would be nice if alienware brought out a tablet but it would have to be a good price as their is many good tablets on the market at the minute

MattyB

It would be awesome if AW were working on a tablet and a bit silly if they weren't even thinking about it. They couldn't half-ass it though considering the price that it would have to be. I don't think they would be directly competing with Apple though. Only really in a niche market. Unless they really do it well

ejohnson

There in lies the problem.
The demand for a alienware tablet is very low. While a very cool item to have, it would not sell very well.
Unless they did it right. Now, in order to make it the correct way, they would need to have a good cpu, decent gpu (lets face it, no one is going to be maxing bf4 on a tablet) dual stacked msata slots. We dont need a standard 2.5 inch drive as it takes up too much space.
Good passive cooling with a fan asist system. By this I mean the tablet can cool it self passivly with the use of a aluminum body and decent sized heat sinks. But it would also need to have a fan in there when the system starts getting too hot. This would make battery life much better than a system that is designed for fans only.

MattyB

That sounds pretty good. I would have no issue with them making it a little thicker than current gen tablets if it means it had a decent cooling system and some kick ass hardware.
Razer have paved the way already so they can just build on that.

ejohnson

There are things on the razer that I feel are not needed. Mainly the gt640 gpu. I cant imagine thats much better than the intel 4600 on the new haswell chips. IGPUs are getting better and better. You can play bf3 on the hd4000 (on low settings)

MattyB

Good point. That would just increase the heat problems and reduce battery life significantly.

Maelstrom

I think you guys are sort of mixing Tablets and Notebooks here. Anything that's going to run some sort of mobile software (Apple iOS or Android) doesn't really need the sort of power you guys are talking about that laptops have. The Edge and Surface are pretty much notebooks with detachable keyboards running full desktop OS's.

MattyB

I think it's excellent. It's thin and light and has less bezel than previous gens. It's actually thinner than the iPhone 5 ( by about 1mm).