Is my Radeon r9 290 going bad?

Diabolic1333

Jul 20, 2016
Hey all, first time here. I have had the r2 since oct 2014. Not long ago, probably two months ago I did some driver updates and bios update because the fans sounded like a jet engine. Had to do a full system restore because the bios messed it up. After that it worked perfectly until this past Tuesday. I opened my case, blew out the dust and I noticed that the pin connector to the video card was right underneath my fan. The CPU is fine though. I got home last night after work to see if that was the problem. Took it all out again and placed it in the clip. Still didn't work. Turned it on and from the moment it booted up, fans went nuts. It was also blowing cool air out. Did a quick driver update that was slated 7/19 when it all started having problems, still didn't work. I'm not overly experienced with computers, but for the life me of me can't figure out what's going on. Don't really have the money to drop $200+ for a new card if that's the case. If I can't fix it, I might have to take it to a computer repair shop.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long message

Last edited:

Diabolic1333

Jul 20, 2016
Thank you for the reply. I might try a few more things before I send it to a repair shop. I'll take a look at the bios and I've read about someone with the same problem who just disconnected the power to the gpu and plugged it back in and it worked