is the new alienware 17 better than the old 17 (2014)

alienware man

hello, i am asking you're opinion on the new 17. is the new one better than the older verison. i own the old one and i was considering upgrading to the new one. whats you're opinion on the matter? thanks.

specs:
intel 4710mq proccessor, 2.5ghz
16gigs of ram, 1600mhz
amd radeon, M290X, 4096VRAM
1TB + 80ssd
windows 8.1

thanks for you're time guys:D

Last edited:
I had the 2014 Model, same configuration as you, except I had (2) 500GB SSD's in Raid 0. I have the 2015 Model now, and I do not notice anything different about it. 2015 Model is listed below.

Notebook: Alienware 17 R2
Processor: Intel I7-4710HQ
Memory: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
Hard Drive: 512GB SSD
Hard Drive: 512GB SSD
Graphics Adapter: GTX-970M 3GB
Display: 17.3inch, 16:9, 1920x1080 pixels,
O.S. Windows 8.1

Nighfall

R2 is less upgradeable than the previous model.

4710HQ means you can't upgrade your CPU, for R1 users they can replace 4710MQ with 4940MX.

Also R2 only got 2 DDR3L Channel which supports max to 16GB memory.

eura.alamid

My 17 r1 is upgradeable. The r2 is not (gpu and cpu) the max ram will be 16 on r2. Though you got your graphics amplifier

thegh0sts

to the serious gamer and hardware enthusiast the R2 is a step backward from the R1. with the R1 the CPU was socketed and the GPU uses the MXM interface which meant you have the ability to upgrade and overclock. the R1 is also compatible with both the 240W and 330W PSUs. the R2s everything is BGA so it's all soldered on and you can't upgrade it and if the GPU dies then the whole board needs to be replaced rather than the individual component.

so when news of the R2 came out the fact that the PSU is 180W is just not enough to power a GTX 980M and that the 240W and 330W PSUs are not compatible. from what i have heard that if the GPU clocks up the CPU gets clocked down therefore killing the laptop's performance.

i'm ok with the 2013 models even though the BIOS for this model is terrible as there's no user adjustable fan control (which i have to hack using HWInfo64 in order to control temps and get it down to reasonable temps). the BIOS is also locked by signing enforcement meaning the only way to have a custom BIOS is to literally solder off the BIOS chip and replace it with a custom BIOS chip.

thegh0sts

Funny that the marketing material makes the CPU throttling a feature.....technically no, if you're a true gamer you DON'T want your CPU to be throttling because the GPU is using too much juice because they didn't provide a power brick that could supply enough juice, not to mention it's been written into the BIOS. this is really just to get you to buy the obnoxious graphics amp and takes away from the point of gaming laptops.

Not only that but you're limited to 16gb of RAM while the R1s are limited to 32gb.

So I am sticking with the R1 because of it's ability to be upgraded on specific components....now i am thinking of upgrading my CPU :)

R2s are pure rubbish.

Nick

The R2s aren't that bad. I'm enjoying mine so far. Only complaint is Windows 8.1 but that will be remedied in July with Windows 10.

You may not be able to upgrade the machine's internal CPU or GPU but with the graphics amplifier you still have an upgrade path. The amplifier probably won't be a justifiable purchase straight out of the gate unless you're planning on doing lots and lots and LOTS of hardcore gaming and can drop $300-$350 on the amplifier itself, then $400-$800 on a desktop GPU to put in it. That's a hefty cost. But a couple of years down the road when the lappy's internal hardware is showing its age, the amplifier becomes a viable upgrade path instead of dropping around $2000 on a new machine, you can spend half that and extend the life of your laptop by 4 or 5 years maybe. However, I think the amplifier is missing a few key features such as charging from the proprietary cable, a slot for a 3.5' internal hard drive and so on..