Is there any 1080 not required cutting of the tab?

GOD

Oct 16, 2016
As far as I know,the 1080 reference cards are exactly the same dimensions as the 980.
From the nvidia official website:

GTX1080
4.376"Height
10.5"Length
2-SlotWidth

GTX 980
4.376 inchesHeight
10.5 inchesLength
Dual-width

So I really don't quite understand what cause the 1080 require a cutting of the tab.
I'm not obsessed with the reference version(founder edition),so is there any one tried out some other versions of the 1080 can fit in the X51 without cutting the tab?

samoo70

Oct 16, 2016
I put a 1070 in, same dimensions as a 1080(founders edition). Had to remove the front fan. I tried a 10mm version, and it would fit, but I ended up relocating the fan instead.

You need the founders edition, it vents externally, which is required for a small form factor.

GOD

Oct 16, 2016
I put a 1070 in, same dimensions as a 1080(founders edition). Had to remove the front fan. I tried a 10mm version, and it would fit, but I ended up relocating the fan instead.

You need the founders edition, it vents externally, which is required for a small form factor.
Thanks for replying.
Actually It doesn't bother me to remove/replace the fan. But from lots of YouTube videos mentioned they actually need to cut a part of the plastic tab attached to the front panel that's the thing I'm not gonna do.

So u got a 1070 founders edition? And the only modification you did is to replace the fan with a 10 mm one??

samoo70

Oct 16, 2016
I did do some major modifications, though it was not exactly required. If you look at my other post ( looking forward to the 1070, page 10). I did some major reworking for cooling. The stock setup with 10mm pci fan(stock fan is 25mm) will get you about 76 degree temps on the founders gpu(which is fine). I just wanted some lower temps. * those are stress test temps OC'd.

As for the tab, it is the inner part of the tab above the fan, that hold the front cover plate on. You don't have to remove it completely. Just the inner portion, cut it flush with the tang that grabs the case, and it card will fit in.

samoo70

Oct 16, 2016
Thanks for replying.
Actually It doesn't bother me to remove/replace the fan. But from lots of YouTube videos mentioned they actually need to cut a part of the plastic tab attached to the front panel that's the thing I'm not gonna do.

So u got a 1070 founders edition? And the only modification you did is to replace the fan with a 10 mm one??

See above answer, meant to reply to your question.