test

ivey bridge cpu in an aurora r3

holeyguy66

is it possible to put a ivey bridge cpu in an r3 if the socket is the same as whats in mine alreasdy. i have socket 1155 sandy bridge

sway

Yes, im going from i5 sandy to i7 ivy on my x51.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

holeyguy66

whats the performace gains from an ivy bridge i read it isnt worth the money to go from sandy to ivy bridge just to do an i7 2600k sandy or well something along those lines. the reason is i just got a old predetor wartime green aw case and my rule of thumb is dont out build the monster you already have just looking at keeping cost down on the new build so i was thinking ither ivy bridge or an i7 in this one and use the sandy bridge i5 2400 out of my r3 for the new rig

sway

See I've heard ivy bridge performance is noticeable over Sandy, not huge but definitely noticeable. It depends on what you need in performance bc the i5 will hang big time and I've never had a anything bog it down. If you don't want to upgrade for a long time, then go with the i7 ivy. It all comes down to money and what you need the power for.

Sent from my paranoid Nexus 7

Last edited:

sway

I think ivy was the last 1155 socket, the next one will be different for the next lower wattage cpu. Just thought I'd throw that in for some extra info.

Maelstrom

If you do go with the Ivy Bridge then your rig should be future proofed, as far as processors go, for a good while.

holeyguy66

im just tring to cut cost on the new case im getting if i can use this cpu in it then i save on a new cpu for it. but like i said i can buy a cpu/mobo combo from newegg for 400 bux. this is the case i just won off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/110937693025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1414 its really to give the wife something that she can play on. im already thinking of swapping out my 6850s to that case and ordering a set of 7970s for mine since im liquid cooling the 6850s i have an existing lc kit from another build that i can fit right in the new case with no prob. i jjust dont wanna out build my r3 if that makes since. im just really after opinions on this option im thinking of. but with the p67 mobo in my r3 will i have to reflash the bios for the ivy bridge cpu

holeyguy66

See I've heard ivy bridge performance is noticeable over Sandy, not huge but definitely noticeable. It depends on what you need in performance bc the i5 will hang big time and I've never had a anything bog it down. If you don't want to upgrade for a long time, then go with the i7 ivy. It all comes down to money and what you need the power for.

o i know nothing will bog this i5 down its a beast man i love it warranty is up and been thinking another more powerful cpu for shits and gigles