test

ivy bridge or haswell?

holeyguy66

ive read some articles about haswell. i like that it runs cooler but doesnt overclock well like the 3770k. im stuck on if i should go with the newer 4770k or stick with the 3770k. haswell also being newer has alot more mobo options the ivy. either way im buying a new cpu. i think mine might be damaged. i couldnt run anything with a 4.6 oc anymore. so im going to start scratch and build an entire new system.

MattyB

Hmmm.....I had a similar decision. The 4770Ks had only just come out when I had to decide but from the research I did, it wasn't worth the extra for the 4770. The 1155 motherboards were also going cheaper so it was an easy decision for me.
It will mentally feel better having the newer CPU but that probably won't mean much later this year.
I would personally cheap for now and maybe look at the next gen later in the year.

sway

Haswell def doesn't run cooler, it's the same crap Intel pulled with ivy using crap tim on the die. If you going new then I'd get haswell, but it's only maybe 10% better than ivy. So at 4.2ghz ivy would need around 4.6 or so to be equal. If your truly upgrading, then actually upgrade and get ivy e, 4930k and a asus black or evga dark mobo. Soon as haswell e comes out I'm upgrading to 5930k 8core. If your going multi gpu like you've said before, you'll need a chip like that for more pcie lanes otherwise more than 2gpus will hurt more than help.

I doubt your cpu is damaged, you prolly need more volts for that oc. For me to get to 4.6 I need over 1.45v, my chip sux. I'm about to delid for temps.

tappin from the neXus 5

Last edited:

holeyguy66

Haswell def doesn't run cooler, it's the same crap Intel pulled with ivy using crap tim on the die. If you going new then I'd get haswell, but it's only maybe 10% better than ivy. So at 4.2ghz ivy would need around 4.6 or so to be equal. If your truly upgrading, then actually upgrade and get ivy e, 4930k and a asus black or evga dark mobo. Soon as haswell e comes out I'm upgrading to 5930k 8core. If your going multi gpu like you've said before, you'll need a chip like that for more pcie lanes otherwise more than 2gpus will hurt more than help.

I doubt your cpu is damaged, you prolly need more volts for that oc. For me to get to 4.6 I need over 1.45v, my chip sux. I'm about to delid for temps.

tappin from the neXus 5
when i had my 1100 watt psu in i could run the 4.6 all day every day. but when i had to drop in my 875 i backed all that down. however i was running the cou at 5ghz there for a short but i used way to much voltage imo. when is the ivy-e coming out. also yea i plan on doig triple or quad gpus this go round. its gonna start off with just adding another gpu in. since i cant shell out the 3k on gpus at once. heres my thinking on why i want a new cpu. for one i got my 3770k off ebay. also when i used indigo extreme i could have damaged my cpu. the flow process is just insane. and as far as needing more voltage i have been using my asus cpu step up or what ever its called. it was running wide open at 4.6 with 1.35v. i dont know if its the psu just giving up. even though its an 875 it should handle that oc along with the oc on the gpu. also when the video driver crash's it wont return to desktop. it locks up with a sound loop then reboots itself. with a windows has recovered from a unexpected error. this is why im wanting all new parts to start from scratch. one reason is when i modded my aurora i got the itch to really do something i havent before. so here i am going to. the lock up and freezes could be ram related again i got my ramm off ebay. found 16 gigs of vengeance for 80 bucks at 1600mhz, i knew it was a long shot but i was having constant lockups after my eyefinity was done. mr diesel helped me get that down to the ram. so theres that reason for that ebay buy. and now the psu. yes dells psus put out every watt they say they do. but they are old so maybe it just cant handle the loads like we think they should.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Hmmm.....I had a similar decision. The 4770Ks had only just come out when I had to decide but from the research I did, it wasn't worth the extra for the 4770. The 1155 motherboards were also going cheaper so it was an easy decision for me.
It will mentally feel better having the newer CPU but that probably won't mean much later this year.
I would personally cheap for now and maybe look at the next gen later in the year.

i was thinking that 2 matty. my reason for shelling out what i did for the titan and the other parts was future proof. hazwell is 20 cheaper but the mobos are just as high. i will be running either xl or e-atx. with that said i might just stick to getting me the caselabs sth 10. its pricey. but i dont have to tear it apart to paint it. it comes in pieces already. and that it self leaves alot of options when you assemble it. the cost of the cpus is why i cant decide on either

sway

Ivy e is already out, haswell e will be closer to end of year. I bet it's the psu, you'll need a gold or platinum rated, I wouldn't trust what Dell rates theirs, I'd trust corsair, seasonic, evga. I had a crappy psu then upgraded and was able to get so much more out of my oc.

tappin from the neXus 5

holeyguy66

o haha e means there big guys lol. ive been tossing the idea of a 2011. but i could opt the cheaper route and go amd. it dont bench well from what i read and can be a good room heater but there highend is as much as a 3770k. i dunno yet i gotta wait for my tax return. if i can set back money with out having to use my return i will be getting a monster case. so i will need money for liquid parts also

sway

I def wouldn't go with a amd cpu, that's just me. You'll need either ivy e or haswell e for more gpus anyway, or your 3rd and 4th gpu will have extremely low performance. On top of that you need a insane cpu to not bottleneck all those gpus. You'll need a mobo capable of pcie 3.0 16x16x16x16 to get the performance out of the gpus.

Screw surround @1080p, with all that you'll be able to go surround @1440p, gaming truly shines at that res.

tappin from the neXus 5

Last edited:

holeyguy66

I def wouldn't go with a amd cpu, that's just me. You'll need either ivy e or haswell e for more gpus anyway, or your 3rd and 4th gpu will have extremely low performance. On top of that you need a insane cpu to not bottleneck all those gpus. You'll need a mobo capable of pcie 3.0 16x16x16x16 to get the performance out of the gpus.

Screw surround @1080p, with all that you'll be able to go surround @1440p, gaming truly shines at that res.

tappin from the neXus 5
ill see what its like after taxes. but man its gonna be over a coarse of 4 years before i run 3 or 4 gpus. i know the titan cards are not as fast as the 780ti. but it is a very strong card. and where it shines is setups like mine. the bench marks prove that. also i dont care what you have. when you run multimonitor setups you should always try for a sli/crossfire config. i think my titan could do better then it does but i get a steady 60-100 fps depending on the game. so im happy with it. as scotty would say. "SHE NEEDS MORE POWER".

holeyguy66

ive decided im gonna hold off on the new build till next year. i am however gonna gather the parts i can gather with out spending the big bucks. mobo case cpu psu . you know the small stuff. i am gonna find me another titan sc in the mean time. and use whats left to pay some bills off. im looking at the ivy-e series of cpus. sway mentioned a hazwell-e with 8 cores. i think im gonna shoot for the 6 core ivy-e

jayhernandez7

A 6-core or 8-core Intel chip leaves me hungry for more!!! I haven't made any huge motherboard or CPU purchases so I might start saving for that too. Next year should be a great year :D

holeyguy66

yea it should be. i might just wait to buy a mobo. if hazwell-e is coming out then 2011 might be old by then.

sway

2011 is already old, it's been out for a while. Better to wait for x99 mobo and haswell e.

tappin from the neXus 5

holeyguy66

when i mean old i mean older then the 90 day window. i know its been out for awhile but old to me like 1+ years