test

Just a question on building a AW computer

craigkane

I am wondering if its possible to build a custom AW computer and if so what hardware is needed

MattyB

If you get an AW case, all you really need to do is choose the hardware. Use this article to help you.

http://www.alienowners.com/content.php/12-The-Complete-Dunce-s-Guide-to-Building-a-Gaming-PC

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

This could probably help you too. It will just show you that it's not as difficult and daunting as you may think.

http://www.alienowners.com/showthread.php/2539-How-to-Build-a-PC-for-Crysis-3

Welcome to the forum!

MattyB

That all depends on how much you want to spend. The 2 more expensive parts will be the CPU and GPU. For these i would suggest the i7-3770K and the GTX 670. Bear in mind that the new 700 series GPU's are just around the corner so you may just want to get a 660 for now and upgrade later. Everything else really comes down to price. I don't know a lot about motherboards but something in the $200-250 range will be perfect. Make sure it's compatible with your CPU (socket 1155 for the 3770K) and that it's the right form factor for your case ie. mATX, ATX etc other wise it may not fit. Get a good high watt PSU and some good RAM. Again, it all comes down to money. Get the best that you can afford.

I would go for a 256GB SSD (Samsung) for your OS and a 2-3TB HDD for media storage

MattyB

Well I guess not technically since it's like the central nervous system of the thing but you can get such lovely mobos these days :D

Depending on the unit you may still have the little daughter board to keep in there so you can still use AlienFX. That will help it continue it's life as an Alienware.

craigkane

So then in your opinion what would be the perfect custom build for AW computer links to the hardware would be appreciated

because i was thinking this for the hardware.Correct it if its wrong

i7-3770K
GTX 670 Graphics cards
Any type of 1155 socket Motherboard $200 and up range (i was thinking the asus sabertooth z77
ATX case
a 2 to 3T HHD
256 GB SSD
32GB ram (not to sure if that's more then enough or not enough)
Corsair TX 750M

yikes81

Any hardware will be fine.

Really depends on what you want to do with the beast.

As long as it fits physically in the case, you will be fine.

RAM, that is a lot. Again depends on your usage. Only thing that uses up tht much RAM, would be intense graphic design, video editing and possibly VM's.

Anything else, will not use up that much RAM.

Sent via Tapatalk

sway

So then in your opinion what would be the perfect custom build for AW computer links to the hardware would be appreciated

because i was thinking this for the hardware.Correct it if its wrong

i7-3770K
GTX 670 Graphics cards
Any type of 1155 socket Motherboard $200 and up range (i was thinking the asus sabertooth z77
ATX case
a 2 to 3T HHD
256 GB SSD
32GB ram (not to sure if that's more then enough or not enough)
Corsair TX 750M

I wouldn't go with the sabertooth mobo, it's overly expensive for what you get. Sure it has that armor crap, but that's it, everything else on it is meh at best. Go with a gigabyte ud5h or ud3h, I have the ud3h and love it. The components and build quality on these mobo are awesome, and the money you save can be put towards a gpu. Those mobo are great overclockers for both ram and cpu.

You def don't need 32gb of memory, you'll never get close to using it unless you edit video or something. I have the samsung "miracle memory" samsung 12800 ram, it's low voltage memory that oc's like crazy, it's hidden gem. Go look at the reviews on newegg , and best of all they're cheap, 8gb kit for 47$ at microcenter. Mine are oc to 2400mhz @ 1.5v, honestly anything over 1600mhz is useless unless benching, but I'll always oc if I can even if it's a lil bit. There, I saved you some money and you got better hardware. I'll post a link to that memory if your interested just lmk.

tappin from the Note II

craigkane

Ok so I'll be going this root since alot of input on this......

i7-3770K
GTX 670
either a gigabyte ud5h or ud3h
2 TB HHD
256 GB SSD
16 gig ram
and as far as the PSU what should I go with is 750W's enough what should I go with

MattyB

I would go with a 1000W. Just to be on the safe side. I always say bigger is better!

craigkane

ok thanks so i'm looking around the same as my hackintosh that i built $1,300.00 not bad

sway

i'll need a link to it then so i can buy it

Cool I put it up hold on. That PSU you have picked out is perfect also, if you have a good brand like corsair that'll be all you need unless you do some crazy water cooling and more than two gpus. I have the cx 750m and it's plenty of power. Just go with a modular setup so you won't kick yourself later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

craigkane

ok going with the gigabyte ud5h or the ud3h what case should I look for would a mid tower be good enough

sway

Ill post these here to for anyone who is interested, this is insanely great ram for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...l_Desktop_Memory_Kit_(Two_4GB_Memory_Modules)

ok going with the gigabyte ud5h or the ud3h what case should I look for would a mid tower be good enough

A case is all about what you want in functionality, looks, and cooling. I went with a corsair 200r, not bc its cheap as i couldve easily gotten a huge corsair 900d beast, i wanted a small beast. Mine is simple, clean, cooling is very good and very roomy for its size. Ill post a pic of it in a sec. Imo id look at any of the corsair cases, my personal favorite is the 500r and was in my basket until i saw the 200r. If you like the 200r at all, the 300r its clone but a tad bigger with a window and front grill with fans. My case is small but big enough to mount a corsair h100i at the top to cool the 3770k. I have it but havent installed it yet, been busy with work.