Just bought an ALX off Ebay

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I just had a massive moment of weakness and bought an old Aurora ALX off Ebay. It was from a good store and was only $1100 Australian which seems like a good deal. A base ALX R4 from Dell Aust is $3500 so I thought it would be good for a bit of a project. It has an i7-920, 1TB HDD, Windows 7 64bit and a crappy GTX260. I really just wanted the case but the parts will come in handy somewhere.

This is my first computer project so I will more than likely be asking for help.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Don't know yet. I'll take any ideas from anyone. I've got to watch the credit card now so I won't be doing much for a few months. I bought an Optx monitor from Dell this morning too. That was before I had even thought about the ALX. I'll get some info over the next few months and go from there.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Aurora ALX it's too expensive for me, I just want a X51 :C

Yeah I think so too. I have always wanted one though. Thats why I thought $1100 wasn't too bad to get my foot in the door.

How much was the optx monitor? Used or new? I like Dell's high end 24" IPS monitor. They run $450 - $600 depending if they are on sale or not.

It was $424 brand new from Dell. They are $499 but the Dell guy gave me 15% off. He was going to give me that discount last week when they were $469 but I didn't go for it unfortunately. Oh well. a few months back they were $350 on special. I should have stocked up!

Quick question. What model would it be? an R2 or R3? It didn't say.

Edit: I noticed a while ago that Dell had a special when ordering any unit you could get an Optx 27 inch monitor for half price. The full price was $750. I have never seen or heard of the 27inch version since.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
$1100?!? Are you serious? I'd rather buy one like yours and not the M17x R4 am willing to get!

Dekstop ftw! :c

Well with the freight and extra charges it ended up about $1200. Still, I think that's pretty damn good. They have a few others on their site.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Kryonet-Sales/_i.html?_nkw=alienware&submit=Search&_sid=570354833

Check them out.

Edit: If you decide to get one make sure you 'make offer'. Mine was listed at 799.99 pounds but I put in 750 and it was accepted straight away. Makes me wish I offered less......