test

Just got the Alienware 18 but have questions

Fastone

Hello all, Im new to forum and AW. I ordered the AW14 on Sept 17 and received the package on Oct 14.They sent me the AW18 instead of the AW14! The invoice and Dell order website indicated it's a AW14. There is no record of the AW18 sent. Its an awesome laptop but much bigger than what I really wanted due to my frequent work travel. Should I try to send it back to Dell and have them send out the AW14? Or keep it and deal with the weight issue?

shankc

I would deal with the weight issue m8 you have 2 graphics cards. So much better for gaming , I no its not as portable but I wouldn't complain. If you had been in the UK and the weight was a problem I would of give money for the M14 and a bit more depending on the specs and I'm sure if the weight is a problem for transporting someone in the USA would offer you the same sort of deal. But you have scored well lucky sod lol. What are the spec's if you don't mind me asking and welcome to the club you will love the laptop many hours of fun and if you have any problems there is a good bunch of people on here that will help and welcome you. Sum very envious like me lol :)

Sarah

Sell it, buy a 14 and pocket the difference!

But seriously, you gotta feel sorry for the poor sod who ordered an 18 and got the OP's 14! lol. Hopefully he/she doesn't become a member on here and find this thread! But as shankc asked, what's the spec on the 18?

Fastone

I looked up the service tag and this what i got...Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Intel® Turbo Boost)Window 8, 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz, Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5, 750GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s. I guess not a bad deal since i did not want to spend 2k for a laptop. There is no record of Dell sent out a 18!

Sell it, buy a 14 and pocket the difference!
But seriously, you gotta feel sorry for the poor sod who ordered an 18 and got the OP's 14! lol. Hopefully he/she doesn't become a member on here and find this thread! But as shankc asked, what's the spec on the 18?

tolitsaso

Is the 14 you ordered any similar to what you got (aw18) spec wise?
The specs above looks baseline

ejohnson

I think the real question is, does it have any warranty on it... since its not what you ordered, are they going to fix anything that goes wrong on it?

As much as I would love to keep the laptop, If there was no warranty on it, I would send it back to get what you wanted. I dont like having my main laptop have no warranty... thats why when any of mine go out of warranty, I just buy a new one and put the out of warranty one on my shelf as a backup.

Also, as the owner of a m14xr2, m11xr1, and a m17xr4 I can say that the m11x was the most travel friendly laptop alienware made... wish they would bring it back.

Fastone

It's the same except for dual graphic card and twice the weight. I would send it back for the 14 but they might take a month to send replacement!
Is the 14 you ordered any similar to what you got (aw18) spec wise?
The specs above looks baseline

Sarah

If you send it back then it's likely it'll end up on the outlet site as a cancelled order or a refurbishment. I can't see that they'd sell it on as a new laptop unless of course you haven't opened the packaging and used it. If you do decide on returning it then I'd insist on a direct swap out procedure where the courier hands you your freshly built to order and brand new 14 and takes the 18 away with him. I know Dell can do that because 3 years ago they agreed to swap a monitor I'd bought with a dead pixel for another one. At least that way you aren't left messing about without a computer for weeks on end because after all it's not your fault that Dell screwed up so why should you suffer for it?

Regarding the warranty situation - if you have a service tag then you have a warranty. Especially so if you are certain that Dell have simply built you the wrong laptop instead of mixing your order with that of somebody else.

Last edited:

shankc

Try going onto the dell support site enter your service tag and you will be able to check the status of the warranty if it says warranty is OK then you have double the graphics power and then you can decide if your going to keep it or sell it make sum money and buy a 14 with a better card. But if it doesn't match up you can get a new replacement but make sure its brand new. Whatever you decide to do good luck and welcome to the club

Jtravapd

Try going onto the dell support site enter your service tag and you will be able to check the status of the warranty if it says warranty is OK then you have double the graphics power and then you can decide if your going to keep it or sell it make sum money and buy a 14 with a better card. But if it doesn't match up you can get a new replacement but make sure its brand new. Whatever you decide to do good luck and welcome to the club

Check out your bill first to make sure you were charged the right amount. Then sell that on craigs list or ebay. You should be able to get , your 14 for free and actually make money on it !!!! on top of that. Keep the box obviously and state that with photos and you really can make out BIG on this. THink about it, you could stick with what you originally wanted and get the 14, and depending on what you get for the brand new 18, you can buy the 14 and the money you make over that one, you can buy a new 18 and pay the difference off. Then you can use your 18 for gaming at home and the 14 for work. lol. There are a million things you can do, once you notify dell though the dream is over. lol.

tribwarrior

dude someone made an honest misteak. they may have to pay for that misteak. I would have to let them know and let them decide. Honesty is the best policy.