test

Just ordered!

Shadowauthor

I've wanted an Alienware since WAAAAAY back in the day ('99 or so), but never could bring myself to pull the trigger, as I always built my own desktops. I wanted a laptop, but they were so insanely expensive back then. The only thing I wish Alienware still did: offer the different color finishes on the exteriors of the laptops and desktops.

After a foray into Apple's world (still have a 27" iMac that I use/love daily), I recently decided I wanted a mobile desktop replacement that I could game/mod on. I'd looked around, and sure, I knew there were less expensive options out there. But at the end of the day, I knew that Alienware was the only way to go. So, here are the specs of my new M18X!

Alienware M18X R2
i7-3630QM
6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz (will upgrade to 16GB once it gets here)
2G GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M
500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s (will add SSD boot drive once it gets here)
AlienFX Color, Mars Red
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1, English, w/Media
Nebula Red Anodized Aluminum
Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di with THX TruStudio Pro Software
Intel 2230 Wireless-N
Alienware M18x 240W A/C Adapter
Orion 18" Alienware backpack

It's not the top-of-the-line, but it's decent and it'll be upgradeable for quite some time. Hey, that rhymed. Anyway, I'm super pumped! Now all that's left is the waiting. February 18th can't get here fast enough!!!

MattyB

Welcome. Congrats on the purchase. Hopefully it lives up to expectations! I'm sure it will.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Welcome! You'll be very happy with the M18x! If it had an IPS display and dock port I would of got one instead of my Dell M6600.

AeonSoul

Welcome mate, and congrats on your purchase! Nice mahcine you got yourself there :D

great congrats on your new buy mate! since '99? dam that is long, AW came here in '09 thats when I actually hoped I could get one, which I did 2 years later :D

Shadowauthor

Thanks, AeonSoul!

- - - - - Updated - - - - -

great congrats on your new buy mate! since '99? dam that is long, AW came here in '09 thats when I actually hoped I could get one, which I did 2 years later :D

Thanks, adityadragoniyer! Yeah, I'm sorta frustrated because it's not supposed to be here until the 18th, but by the same token it's been over a decade so what's 18 more days, right? ;)

yikes81

I was in the same boat as you. I wanted one since way back since the company started. I was just broke. Then when I got money, I knew it was Alienware or nothing.

Sent via Tapatalk

Shadowauthor

Bought Skyrim today in preparation for the 18X. I'm jonesing so bad. Don't know if I'll be able to hold out...haha

you should also get The Witcher 2, that is a true test for any system! plus one of the best games look and storywise too :D

sway

I would say metro 2033 it's a good test on a system, that game cripples my x51 on ultra, up until the newest beta drivers I had to run on dx10 and high settings to bust out 60fps. Now with the newest drivers I can go dx11 and high and get real close to 60fps. I can play the witcher 2 on ultra with decent fps. I couldn't get into that game though, the learning curve was kinda long and I have a short attention span.

It has one hell of an epic opening scene though.

tappin from the Note II

Shadowauthor

I definitely agree with the suggestion for the Witcher 2. I had it for my 360 at the game's launch and put about ~5 hours into it. Things got crazy in my life (wife/family/job) and I didn't have time to dedicate to it.

I'll be getting it through Steam as soon as my baby gets here!

MattyB

Awesome news! Make sure you're waiting at the door all day. On once of my deliveries I apparently didn't hear the knock on the door so they left and put a card in my mailbox. I had to rebook :(

Shadowauthor

If it weren't so dang cold here this time of year, I'd wait outside. The good news is that I have a lot of studying to do and my computer desk with my iMac on it is right next to the front door. The hounds of hell couldn't keep me from getting this kit tomorrow! :)

DeaDGamR

Great news! Wish mine was coming as soon lol. Looking forward to the pics. Enjoy!

kepano24

welcome aboard....i do recommend upgrading win 7 to Pro and maxing out your ram.....32gig runs flawlessly