Keyboard Backlight

I haven't had this particular issue with mine but there is usually a lag when switching between go dark and go light modes. The lag will be a second if the machine is idling but will be a lot longer (or it never switches) if the machine is under any kind of load such as playing a game or running a virus scan session. It sounds like a software issue with what is still a very new design so maybe they'll have a patch update available soon. Still I'm not complaining about my 17 because it's a beautiful machine and I totally love it.

I'm having this exact problem as well. Happened after the machine turned the lights off due to idling -- then they wouldn't come back on. Now if I switch profiles or reboot I get lights for 2 or 3 seconds and then it all goes dark.

Tried reinstalling the command center, removing the battery etc. No dice.

Had my machine for 2 weeks and having problems already :( I'm also getting high temperatures on mine -- tech support haven't responded to either of my queries (I submitted the one about the temperatures over a week ago).

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Wow after all this I found something that worked. Totally randomly. I will repaste what I did here (I also put this on the dell support forums).

Random desperation ftw?

After I finished typing the last post, I restarted for the 50th time after installing windows updates and reinstalling the control center.

Here's what got my lights working again... at least, for the moment.

I quick-changed my colour. 2 seconds and then black again.

I enabled 'Dim lighting zones' and the lights actually CAME ON. Wtf? And they stayed on.

I disabled 'Dim lighting zones' and the lights became brighter, and stayed on.

Let me know if this works for you. I think I'll make sure any auto-dimming is turned off from now on. Seems there's some insidious bug with it.

Last edited:

forJAT

Aug 7, 2013
Austin, TX
Had my machine for 2 weeks and having problems already :( I'm also getting high temperatures on mine -- tech support haven't responded to either of my queries (I submitted the one about the temperatures over a week ago).

Glad you got the lighting fixed sounds like the program was hungup on a process outside of the command center ..

Concerning your heat issue:
I could call Dell directly in addition to sending an email (digital trail) -- I have read a lot of posts regarding the heat issue and you may just have to "re-paste" the cpy/gpu down again. While I have not had any problems there were a lot of ummmm less than optimal cpu/gpu paste jobs by the factory.

Glad you got the lighting fixed sounds like the program was hungup on a process outside of the command center ..

Concerning your heat issue:
I could call Dell directly in addition to sending an email (digital trail) -- I have read a lot of posts regarding the heat issue and you may just have to "re-paste" the cpy/gpu down again. While I have not had any problems there were a lot of ummmm less than optimal cpu/gpu paste jobs by the factory.

Thanks for the response :) My theory about the lights is that there is some override value that gets set on the chip by power management (On, Dim, Off) and reinstalls of the control centre or pushing new profiles to the chip doesn't reset it. So if somehow that value doesn't get cleared on wake up it's stuck there. Seems like a bug that will frustrate a lot of people until Dell fix it. At least the workaround is pretty painless, though obscure.

Anyway regarding the temperature thing, I'm guessing it might be better to do this myself, as I will use good thermal paste and not the thermal tape that Dell uses. I just want them to confirm in writing that I won't void my warranty by doing this :)