test

Laptop Screen FLASH* Video Included Please Help

ROBERTOMUSICTV

My laptop was dropped from a small height and i don't know why my screen keeps flashing. I connect it to an external Monitor and it works perfectly fine. I dont know if its the LCD FLEX CABLE Or if its the entire LCD, or the motherboard.

I made a video to show my problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS6Jj4DgvL8

[video=youtube;kS6Jj4DgvL8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS6Jj4DgvL8[/video]

Laptop:
ALIENWARE M14X R1 I believe.

DDuB420

I don't think it's your Mobo, since it works fine when an external is plugged in. (I could be wrong)
That drop could of partly dislodged the LCD cable from the Motherboard.
I would start your troubleshooting by first reseating the display cable back into the socket on the Mobo.
If that doesn't work then it could be where the display cable plugs into the LCD.
There's a member on this site named "ejohnson" if you ask him, he might be able to help you with the issues you might encounter taking off the LCD back shielding.

I would troubleshoot those 2 connection points first before thinking its something else.

Are you still under warranty?

ROBERTOMUSICTV

Hey thanks for the reply, and so you think i should try opening up my system? and no im not under warranty any more. There's something weird that when i freshly turn on the system after not using it all day the screen works fine until the laptop starts getting a bit hotter. The reason i thought it was the mother board was because i seen a few you tube videos of them also having display glitches but there's seemed different.

ejohnson

I already replied to your PM, but I figure I would post in here too.

Reading now that there was a small tumble involved before this started happening, I am thinking you may have a popped solder joint. This is whats causing the LEDs in the LCD to load up voltage, then discharge like that. Or it could be as simple as the LCD cable not getting a full connection so its not able to regulate power to the LEDs.

Does the screen dim/brighten button on your keyboard work?

I am not on this forum very much due to my job, but if you send me a PM, I get notified in my work email. So I can pop over when I get a small break.