test

Laptop "vibrates"

Rapid_Sausage

I have an Alienware m17x R4, a couple of days ago i've had my GPU and heatsink replaced due to a manufacturing defect after 8 months of use.

Ever since then the laptop has a slight vibration to it, i feel it whenever i put my hands still anywhere on the chassis, and this vibration increases to a more noticeable level when the GPU fan maxes out (during heavy gaming) and it's really annoying. (not a violent vibration where i can see the keyboard keys moving, more like a buzzing feeling)

the fans sound normal, act normal, and my temperatures are normal.

i've tried tightening/untightening the fan screws, i've tried reseating the hard drives, and the heatsinks, but the "vibration" still exists.

Any idea what i'm looking at here?

Commy1

The power level is obviously SO high that the new GPU and CPU are vibrating....
Or
I have no idea, I would have guessed the fans and if not then the harddrives. If it's anything I think it's the fans, although how exactly is hard to say. Perhaps the fan has a manufacturing defect and it's off balance. If you can take out the fan and just hold it vertically from one side to the other, the heaviest part should follow gravity.

Sleepy

I would suggest it needs to go back to who ever did the upgreads as that is not running correct , I know that is not what anyone wants to hear but , something is def not right with it , I recommend getting this done sooner feather than later buddy .

Rob Wills

Hi you two... Rapid_Sausage, it may be that whoever replaced your Graphics Card didn't check that it was installed correctly, or firmly seated. Or perhaps the Card's on-board fan is vibrating (if it has one - you don't say which Card you have). Vibration, especially fan vibration, usually produces noticeable noise. Any sign of that? For sure, something's loose!

Rapid_Sausage

Hi you two... Rapid_Sausage, it may be that whoever replaced your Graphics Card didn't check that it was installed correctly, or firmly seated. Or perhaps the Card's on-board fan is vibrating (if it has one - you don't say which Card you have). Vibration, especially fan vibration, usually produces noticeable noise. Any sign of that? For sure, something's loose!

nothing is different with the sound, except maybe when i put my ear on the chassis i hear the fan spinning, but it has a bit of a lower pitch than it used to i suppose.

perhaps the effect is so feint i can't gauge how bad is it.

Last edited:

Rob Wills

Ok Rapid_Sausage, thanks for that. I have a suggestion, or two. First off, Sleepy is right; contact the person who last opened the machine and discuss the issue. If that gets you nowhere, try this: Start from the outside. Is the machine level and on a stable platform (not as dumb as it sounds, believe.)? Are the external case screws all snugly in place? Is the display firmly attached to the main body?

If all this is ok, there's no alternative to going inside. Any amount of perceptible vibration in your machine is a cause for concern and may have catastrophic consequences later on if not addressed now.

You may be quite right about it not being the fans, or indeed even the GPU. It's all guesswork unless you open it up. Working inside a laptop sometimes means that you have to remove a variety of components, let alone the one/s you're replacing/repairing - and put them all back correctly when you've done. It sounds as if some structure may not have been properly secured.

If the machine is in warranty, or if someone else is responsible, hand the machine back. Otherwise, someone else (you?) is going to have to go back inside and try to sort it out. Without treatment, vibration only gets worse over time. If you feel confident enough, arm yourself with a Service Manual, a good guide to ESD Safety Measures (absorb the last fully). and the right screwdriver. Fellow M17x R4 Owners can advise you better than me about the detail. Good Luck!

Rapid_Sausage

i reseated pretty much everything (both fans, both HDDs, GPU + Heatsink), but vibration still there.

on the phone with dell at the moment, gonna see how it goes.

update: they're gonna send a technician to check the laptop out and see what's wrong, if something's wrong with either of the fans they're gonna replace as needed.

Last edited:

Rapid_Sausage

i'm still a bit skeptical about this though.

even when the gpu fan is on max rev, you will not notice the vibration if you don't know it's there, i.e you have to concentrate to actually notice it, but once you do you won't un-notice it.

i feel i'm being overly paranoid.

Rob Wills

i'm still a bit skeptical about this though.

even when the gpu fan is on max rev, you will not notice the vibration if you don't know it's there, i.e you have to concentrate to actually notice it, but once you do you won't un-notice it.

i feel i'm being overly paranoid.

Hi Rapid_Sausage, only one way to be sure - let the Tech' decide! You're just being cautious, nothing wrong with that.

Rapid_Sausage

Hi Rapid_Sausage, only one way to be sure - let the Tech' decide! You're just being cautious, nothing wrong with that.

yea, but it worries me when i know more about hardware than the technician.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

i called dell today again, and convinced them to get me a replacement for both GPU and CPU fans.

but to be extra informed, can someone tell me what these part numbers refer to (MT1DN, 650RY)?

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

apparently the 2 part numbers above were wrong, they're both for the heatsinks which i don't need, so i called again, and they cancled those parts and ordered me the following ones: THPDJ & GVHX3