Looking for advice on Area 51 x58/Area 51 7500

Andrew_J994

Hello Everybody, Im looking to purchase a Predator 2 Area 51 7500 or x58.
Im new to this generation of Predator and Area 51 as my systems are a Predator 1 Area 51 and Aurora R4 ALX. I was hoping someone could shed some light on these systems and some things to look for and things to avoid when buying one.
Im currently browsing through eBay and Craigslist to get an idea of what I want in one of these machines but finding these on the market for any reasonable price before taking in consideration of shipping and limited availability has been tough.
Currently Im interested in a blue or green case but im not too picky and would probably take any color if the price is right. My only condition is that I want a stock or barebones system. Any Advice is appreciated.
Thanks, -Andrew

Eakers

Late-night for me, can't think of much. Hope this helps.

Biggest things I watch for:

Aim for an ALX case. It might cost more, but has a premium feel, chrome sides, and soundproof- foam preinstalled.

Make sure the case comes with all of the original covers and p[anels for the PCIE slot covers, as well as the 5.25 inch/ disk drive covers.

Check if the daughterboard is active, or passive, for controlling the lighting. The passive card works without software, as it has 3 physical switches you can change to cycle between a few case colors.

Make sure the case has all of the 120MM fan brackets attached, as some users have broken them!

Confirm if the side external alien head logo's light up. The one side which pulls off to open the case normally does not work, as user's bend the metal pins from general wear, breaking the connection for the lights!

*** I would argue to forget color and focus on a case with no physical dents or scratches. A smooth surface will let you use any custom paint you want, for a beautiful effect.

Andrew_J994

Thanks Eakers! I figured that I would aim more for an ALX case after doing some more digging... As for the daughterboard, is there any advantages between them and if one is better than the other, are they interchangable as well as repairing pins if necessary? As far as finding listings for these computers, is there any website or service to buy from that alien owners buy and sell from? Im currently in the price range of 150-275 for a good condition system, would this be a reasonable range to start?
Thanks, -Andrew

Eakers

Good evening,

The passive card uses a software program and should have more color controls, for the lights. That said, the software may be unsupported in the future, so many people enjoy the card with the physical switches. I own both, as the cards can be swapped on the fly, and are sold on ebay right now for only $20.00ish each new. I have just used eBay, as I do not know of any unique website for buying and selling used PC gear. My case was about $150, but I have seen them for more and less. I would say $275 might be good for an ALX< but I would pay closer to $150 for the normal case.

Andrew_J994

Thanks again, I’ll definitely look into both passive and active cards and maybe try out both, as long as software is supported, as you said.
Thanks, -Andrew