Looking for instructions on taking apart the display on an M14, M17x or M18x...

n13L5

There is one thing that has kept me from buying Alienware laptops for years.

And it wasn't the 2002 magnesium alloy model that overheated every half hour, right out of the box... its still sitting in my cellar somewhere, with a total usage time of ~40 hours.

Its their Displays.

Not the LCD panel itself, but the extremely cheap, scratch sensitive and reflective plastic screen they mount in front of it. I'd say this plastic sheet has about the quality of packaging material, only its a little thicker.

Every review points it out to Alienware: Stop making these screens so reflective, people buy cosmetic mirrors at Bed and Bath.

Apple's display lids are done in a similar fashion to Alienware's. But Apple uses real glass. Glass with an anti-reflective coating, no less. Much easier on the eyes.

My thought is, if I can take apart the M17x screen assembly and remove that plastic sheet, I could get a local glass maker to produce a glass sheet with non-reflective glass, and put the whole thing back together - all better...

So, I searched the internet, but failed to find a tear down video or instruction page for the display. Plenty of instructions to take apart the base, but not the display. If you found one, know one or have done it yourself, I'd love to hear from you. Maybe produce stacks of matching glass panels as replacement parts, even... or sell them to Dell mwahaha

calric

i would imagine you'd have to start with the outer shell's top lid itself.

looking at the screen here on mine (without actually doing any tests) i'd guess to remove the outer lid and then see if you can pry out the wedges on both sides (they are the ones that act as a barrier between your screen and the bottom half of the keyboard). that would be my best guess at the moment.

It sounds like a good idea for general non-travel usage. I would recommend putting an extra cloth or something if you travel with it just in case the glass were to ever break and to help give it extra padding.

Pretty sure they use the plastic since its more durable.

ripperbone

heres one of many on youtube

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hHJEU0Rsnrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>