Looking to upgrade 2012 X51

Ipecacuanha

Jun 17, 2014
Earth
In early 2012, I bought the X51 largely because it was said to be easily upgrade-abe. Seems it's time to finally do that. I saw signs that games were starting to advance past it. I couldn't run Bioshock infinite at max settings without some framerate problems. Now it seems that I cannot run Watch_Dogs at anything but the lowest settings without unplayable framerate (tried the new "mod" and it looks great, but still has poor framerate). So I've come here for advice on what new parts to get. I'm looking to keep playing games at high settings, but don't necessarily want to break the bank either. I may not always be able to do both, but if the choice is between "the best" and "good enough and much cheaper" I'll probably prefer the second option.

Here are the current settings according to "dxdiag" please let me know if more information is needed.

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.3GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3 GHz

Memory 6144MB RAM

Page file: 4560MB used 7514MB available

Display device: Nvidia GeForce GT 545

Chip Tupe: GeForce GT545

Approx Total Memory: 3731 MB

((((This is incidental, but the lights on my case broke quite a while ago. And by "broke" I mean "Will no longer change color or turn off". It's not much more than inconvenient, but if anyone has a fix I would appreciate it. I have tried reinstalling both drivers and software, as well as opening up the case and looking for any obvious loose/broken connections. The side lights are always solid white, but the alien face in front does not light up.))))

I think you can get by for now with just a video card upgrade. I would say something along the line of a 750TI, the 750 ti comes in several sizes including a double width half length card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025 and uses around 60 watts of power. Your factory power brick should be the 240 Watt. The 545 is showing here http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-545-ddr3/specifications
as a DDR3 or DDR5 card. The DDR3 version uses 70 watts, the DDR5 version 105. So that would keep you using the same power brick. The 750 ti is around 150.

Doing a little googling with your i3 and the 750 ti combo I seen some reports of around 41 FPS on Watch Dogs on Med to high settings depending on your monitor.