Loud fans while playing COD

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
No I don't think so. What fans are running loud? You can install GPU Temp to keep an eye on things just to make sure you're not getting too hot. CPU Temp will track your processor temps. If it's happening while playing games then it must be your GPU's.
Your signature doesn't look right. You've got Dual AMD Radeon HD 780?? What cards do you have?

Duel AMD Radeon HD 7800....

2013-08-06_1843.png

Fifteen seconds after I start playing COD it shoots up to 208F / 210F....

2013-08-06_1852.png

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

And it's the main big fan in the back. Dusty as all hell back there. Even with the case open it does it.

I got the computer last September but it's only been doing for a few weeks. And only during COD.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah that's way to high for your CPU to jump up. I would get onto Dell if you've still got warranty. When I first got my ALX which had a 3820 I had a similar problem except mine would do that as soon as I turned the machine on. They had to replace the motherboard to fix it.
Maybe a repasting of the CPU is all that's needed or maybe you have a sensor problem.

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
Duel AMD Radeon HD 7800....

2013-08-06_1843.png

Fifteen seconds after I start playing COD it shoots up to 208F / 210F....

2013-08-06_1852.png

And it's the main big fan in the back. Dusty as all hell back there. Even with the case open it does it.

I got the computer last September but it's only been doing for a few weeks. And only during COD.
the word dusty is the problem. get a couple of cans of air and blow the dust out the radiator. i cant stress enough how important keeping your rig clean. even mibe torn down is spotless. before repasting or calling dell try giving your rig a good dusting.

So I bought some compressed air, did that, doesn't seem to be working better. Inside of the computer the temps seem fine, but the graphics card in the back is where the problem seems to be. It gets so hot back there that it's done damage to the monitor cords... In fact, the cords no longer work and I'm only running one monitor.

I'm going to replace the cords tonight and see if that does the trick, but then I am... right back to square one.

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
your talking about the back of the pc like outside where it exhaust the hot air. these aurora cases tend to run a tad hotter then most when running duel gpus. i actually took a piece of a advil box top folded it as much as i could but i doubt your hot air from your gpus damaged your cords. they had to have already been going bad. because if your exhaust is that hot then stop using your rig and call dell. i persoanlly would take both gpus out take the cpu radiator off and just blow the living crap out of all those. chances are you have something blocking air flow. i mean i ran 93c temps with my 2 6850s after i setup triple screen. but with all that hot air i never melted and cables.

WaLkAwaY

Feb 4, 2012
Earth
#1 Answer = Means you should stop playing COD.
Bananeyessss.gif

Seriously if the picture (I know it was not yours) is any indication of how it looks then I would say that SLI is not the answer for that case. From what I have read and I am no expert I have heard that SLI really does not improve games but a whole bunch.

Dusting the computer helps as well as others have stated. I really think though that there should be more room between GPU cards if that picture is the norm. Because a lot of cases are not cooling friendly as far as air flow goes while trying to keep a pretty compact design.

Maybe during the summer months you can go ghetto cooler and open the case and place a fan in front of it?

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
walkaway its best to run multi-gpus when running multi monitor setups as it helps alot with the workload. sli and crossfire in these cases are tight but if your using refferance style cards where the air exits the back only then it works fine but like the pic above. which is my old setup it isnt a good design as it blows the hot air back on the case. the cpu temps are a tad to high. but im kinda confused on the problem at hand other then heat issues. are you haveing heat issues with the cpu and gpu. and how long have you had this aurora. its good to repaste every 6 months to a year. i can tell you with the stock air coolers off theres a crap ton of room. but you have to liquid cool the cards if you go that route due to the space we are givin.

Well, isn't this just something. Wanting to avoid work I booted up the R4... Played COD no problem.... Hooked up a second monitor and it worked fine.

Hmmm.

Can FPS have anything to do with this?

When I play COD I play on a "high jump" server. With the FPS turned up to 500 we can scale entire buildings.

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
fps is just how many frames your producing a second. unless its a totally diff type of fps setting. if its just frames per second no it wont. download msi after burner and set your on screen display to show your temps and fps while you play. high jump as in low gravity so to speak. and then im assumiong fps stand for feet per second i guess.

WaLkAwaY

Feb 4, 2012
Earth
walkaway its best to run multi-gpus when running multi monitor setups as it helps alot with the workload.

I never thought of that. I have two monitors connected to my 670 with room for my HDLED TV through HDMI and then some other weird hookup. I only use the monitors on that machine, though I think I tried to hook up all three and it did not work of course that could have been my other gaming machine as it is hooked up to two monitors and an LED TV but won't display on all three at the same time.

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
thats wierd the 600 series cards are suppoed to be surround capable with one gpu. radeons from the 5000 series up has always had single gpu eyefinity. but the monitors have to be identical. but i have seen people use a larger screen in the center and 2 smaller ones on the side. my titan will be my first run with nvidias surround vision. but if your running after burner or something that shows the memory frequency look at it just idle at your desktop. i bet its running wide open. thats why its best to run duel gpus in this case. the titan on the other hand is 6 gigs of ramm on a single gpu card thats alot of damn ramm. i also need it though

Thanks everyone.... My R4 seems to be working just fine now. All I did was dust out the computer (which will now be a monthly task) and replace the monitor cables. I also have it sitting up on the desk instead of behind the desk, which is fine - I paid enough for it so I might as well get to see it.