test

M11x is it worth it?

Sora3

Well I have owned my m14 for a month or so now and love it and am wanting a m11x as well :) the games I will be playing are call of duty 4, dragons nest, other FTP mmorpgs, emulator games such as kingdom hearts and Pokemon. Will this system be fine to play these? Also is there any big difference between r1 model and r2 or 3? I've heard about hinge problems and over heating so was wondering if the newer models did a better job. It sucks i have to buy used (eBay) but o well, what do you guys think?

MattyB

I love my M11x's. definitely go for for an i7 R3 model. I never played BF3 on it but it could handle everything else I threw at it no problems.

MattyB

Oh and the R3 will have no hinge problems. The earlier ones had problems. Heat has never been an issue. The fan works pretty hard at times though.

Sora3

hmm just been checking prices for the last week. r3 are very hard to find and when you do they want alot. any chance dell will bring back the m11 this summer along with other new models?

MattyB

I hope so but I doubt it unfortunately. There is one down here on eBay at the moment. It's a red i5 model though but with a 2GB 540M. It should go for $750-800AU. I've been thinking of going for it but I don't really need it. It's only an Australian sale but if you want it let me know and I can get it for you. (If I don't get it for myself first! :p )

jacobberke

I'm also thinking about getting one off ebay also. Because I want to play League of Legends on the go. Since my m14x died, and i only have a desktop imma save for one.

Sora3

yea i saw that one your talking about but i think i want a black one. but the red does look sweet. i think i will look around for a while a see what dell is going to do and go from there. lol what would you need 3 m11x for, unless you dont have a red one then it might be worth it haha :)

MattyB

Yeah 3 would be a waste. If I ended up getting a red one I would sell the Silver R2 I got recently. 2 would be a perfect number.

MattyB

My GF has the M14x. I don't have the M17x either because I sold it to a mate.

Sora3

well just bought an m11x r2 :)

duel core i3
250gb hdd
geforce GT 335m
4gb ram
windows 7

paid 450 for it comes with original charger, alienware sleeve, cooling pad, dvd player, tons of games and movies.
i think it was worth it ahaha matty im one step closer to you :)

MattyB

Nice work! Yeah $450 is pretty good. You won't find one any cheaper. I haven't tried any games on my R2 yet

Sora3

just got it, pretty awesome so far but very slow compared to my m14. it is really tiny ahaha pictures dont do it justice at all i think if i install an ssd i will be much happier and it will prob be even faster than my m14 lol. question? i cant seem to find alienrespawn on here to do a factory reset "i want to get rid of this guys stuff"?

MattyB

I don't think Respawn came with that one but try here. If you have an Alienware Windows CD, I would just do a fresh reinstall if I was you. You should have one for you M14x. You can use the CD as many times as you like and on any Alienware that takes W7.

Yeah they are teeny tiny. When I got my first one I had an M17x and it was so small compared to it. It's only SATA 2 though so you will never get max speeds from it. Your M14x should be quicker. I would definitely put an SSD in there as you don't really need massive storage in such a small machine.

I had an M11x R2 and had no issues playing BF3. Of course you can not put it on high, but you can play it for sure. I never had any hingle problems like others did either. It is a great PC..Get one..asap!

Pedro UK

Well, I recently got an i7 based R3 with 8 gig of RAM and a Killer wireless n card. I've got to say I'm totally in love with it. It has handled everything I've thrown at it with aplomb. Including BF3. Funnily enough the only thing that it's struggled with is a Doom mod - a game from 1994! Whodathunk?!

I'm a fussy bugger and I always find fault with hardware. The only things that bug me so far is a) the screen could be better but it looks like that can be upgraded with an IPS screen and b) the SD slot leaving the card sticking out. I like to use a 32 gig card as a second drive left in the machine. I can't do that with the M11x...

Other than that I can't recommend it enough! The best £745 I've ever spent!

MattyB

There's an i7 R3 on the Dell outlet store for $699! It's too good to pass up but I don't need another one. I think they're awesome computers!

HMMROFTHEGDS

I have one of the very base models (has the i3:p) and it handles Battlefield 3 easily and most other games that I play (Star Trek Online, Far Cry 3) it handles really well. My big thing with it is that it doesn't have a disc drive. This is the one that started my Alienware addiction (it was a christmas present from my wife) and it is still going strong 2 yrs later.

MattyB

I loaded Grid 2 onto my i5 M11x last night and it chewed it up. Even with AA on. Settings were on medium but it still looked great on the little screen. I was just sitting back in bed playing and watching the football!

Pedro UK

I was checking out some games on the "Can I Run It?" site. It's amazing to see how many games this wee thing can handle.

I have a question though. According to the site my i7 runs at 1.5 GHz. How do I know when it runs at full speed? Is there a way to monitor that?