test

M11x r1 and world of warcraft

Groomermo

Hi I just recently built a m11x and someone told me since it had a intel core 2 duo that's it's a r1 I upgraded the hd to a 1 tb and ram up to 8 gb and installed my game wow and it still lags even though the requirements for wow is only 30gb hd space and 2gb of ram at the minimum. Can someone help me I have windows 7 on it and all the drivers my fiancée did all the tech stuff I just built the laptop.

AeonSoul

What graphic card do you have? If it's nvidia go through the control panel and force WoW (under 3d settings) to run with the dedicated VGA.

MattyB

I think by VGA he was talking about your 335M. You need to make sure that the game is trying to use this card instead of the Intel graphics. You also need to make sure you have a recent driver for your 335M. If you go into Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall a Program and scroll down your list until you see your Nvidia programs you will be able to see the driver version. It will be a 3 digit number plus 2 decimal points eg 296.10 or 314.07. Something like that anyway. If there is no Nvidia programs or it has an early number (something way before 296.10) you need to go to www.nvidia.com and install the drivers.
Once you have checked this you need to go into your Nvidia control panel by right clicking on your desktop screen and selecting it. You need to make sure that your game is set to use your Nvidia GPU. Just make sure it says something like 'auto select' or use global setting'. I forget what it says exactly.
See how you go with that and let us know if it doesn't work.

Groomermo

I downloaded the newest drivers but how can I tell if its running on that and not my intel graphic

MattyB

Silly question but did you install them too? It won't automatically install after downloading. To make sure you're running the game from your card you need to right click on your desktop and go into the Nvidia Control Panel. I don't have mine handy but I think you go into Manage 3D settings. Somewhere there should be a list of programs and you can choose for them to run on the integrated graphics, Nvidia, or Use Global Settings. Just make sure that your particular game or Origin (I think that's WoW) is using Nvidia.

AeonSoul

Matty pretty much explained everything, but to break it down:
1. go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest drivers (which you did, apparently)
2. install the drivers (they should be in your download folder, just double click on them and go through the wizard)
3. after you installed them, restart your pc (it will ask you to do so anyway)
4. when it's running again, right click on your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel"
5. in there, check on the left side bar for a voice saying "Manage 3D settings" or something like that, click on it
6. In the window that opens there's a drop down menu, where the games installed on your PC are listed
7. select the game from that list, WoW should be there already
(7a. if WoW is not in the list, click on the button that says "Browse..." and navigate to your WoW installation folder)
(7b. select the executable file of WoW, the one that ends with .exe, just be sure you're selecting the game .exe and not the launcher, i'm not familiar with WoW but I'm assuming you might have something like wow.exe and wowlauncher.exe. If you dont find browse in the subfolder, that has to be there somewhere)
8. once the game is loaded in the list, in the drop down menu below it, you have 3 options that basically say "use default settings", "use nvidia card" (this one should have a green nvidia logo on the left side of the label) and "use integrated card".
9. select "use nvidia card" and hit apply+ok
10. close it and play the game, that should fix it.

maybe you are running the integrated intel graphics card. I cant remember what the exact hotkey to turn on nvidia is i believe its alt+f7 but i could be wrong.

Sleepy

Have you tried downloading the new beta , nvidia exspriance , it keeps cards upto date easily for you and has a handy Optimise button that does just that , make the selected game run the best it can for your specs , I use it and I like it :)