M11x R2 Has Vertical Lines Coming Down Screen.

Dark_UFO

I've done some research and most likely the GPU is failing. First it was one blue line coming down the screen, now its a group of them, eventually they will probably expand across the screen until it becomes unreadable. The problem is that the M11x has two GPUs, the intel integrated one and the discrete Nvidia GT 335. I'm not sure which is causing the issue, however in the short term I tried disabling the GT 335 to see if the lines go away, which they don't, then tried disabling the integrated card but screen turned black and had to restart. Is there a way for me to figure out which card it is and if it is the intel integrated card is there a way to disable it and ONLY uses the Nvidia card for everything and vice versa?

If I decide to setup external graphics, EGPU, can it be set to where I can disable both the integrated GPU and GT 335 so that it ONLY uses the external card for everything? That way I get around the failing GPU onboard without having to replace the machine?

MattyB

Staff member
Sounds about right with the GPU. I repaired a friends M17x R4 once and it had blue lines through the screen. It was the Nvidia GPU but since yours goes black on the integrated GPU then it's most likely that.I don't know another wat to check though. I haven't had an M11x for a few years. You can't swap over the GPU on the M11x so I think you're up for a new mobo if you want to go that way. You can get one off Aliexpress pretty cheap ~$65US.
Can't help with the EGPU question sorry.

Dark_UFO

I appreciate your reply. I to have been thinking of replacing the mobo to since it is far more cost effective than getting a new laptop, but I have some questions. When I order the new mobo does it come with the GPU onboard? I see one on Amazon and the processor is listed but the GPU is not.

MattyB

Staff member
I had the same question after I looked on Aliexpress. Was strange for them to not list the GPU.