M14X R2 and Crucial M500 120gb msata

DocFitz01

I recently picked up a 120gb crucial m500 msata drive for my R2 and installed. Upon installing the drive I switched the HDD mode from raid to AHCI. I then did a clean install of Windows 8.1 and proceeded to install all of my necessary drivers (I have repeated this several times). Each time it results in the system being inoperable and I receive the error as seen in the photo upon attempting to boot into Windows. In addition, when the system does kind of work it will not work with hibernate or sleep mode properly and then won't boot. If someone could please let me know what I am doing wrong I'd greatly appreciate it.
2014-07-31 11.33.55.jpg

MattyB

Staff member
Never seen that error before sorry. Did you use a driver install guide so you got the order correct? I reinstalled windows 8 on an mSata SSD on my GFs R2 a while ago. I don't remember having any issues. Are you set to UEFI mode or legacy in the BIOS?

DocFitz01

Never seen that error before sorry. Did you use a driver install guide so you got the order correct? I reinstalled windows 8 on an mSata SSD on my GFs R2 a while ago. I don't remember having any issues. Are you set to UEFI mode or legacy in the BIOS?
I am in UEFI mode, I was unaware of the existence of a driver install guide so I wasn't following one. However, I installed Windows 8 then upgraded to Windows 8.1 and so far I'm not having any issues. I have no idea why it wouldn't like a clean install of Windows 8.1, but I'm glad to have my laptop working again.

MattyB

Staff member
Awesome! Yeah there is usually an order in which to install the drivers. I can't remember the W8 order but there will be a guide somewhere. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DocFitz01

Alright, I have an update and a new symptom. The computer freezes when AC power is not connected. I am open to any new ideas anyone might have...

DocFitz01

I have given up on windows and switched to ubuntu linux 14.04, system runs amazingly now!