test

M14x R2 Can RAM be upgraded to 32 GB? Windows 10 Home

KwkSilver

I have seen the RAM post/question that involves upgrading to 32 GB of RAM on the M14x R2. It seems that it was never answered. Just a lot of opinions on wheter it was"Needed".

Basically, can a M14x R2 be upgraded to 32GB?

SPECS below;
2.7 GHz Intel i7, 3740QM processor, that has 8GB RAM,but DELL states (upgradeable to 16GB). The drive is a 500gig hard drive with a fresh install of Win 10 Home 64 bit. There is also a 32gig msata cacheing drive installed which is very good at speeding up the responsiveness of applications and games.

All responses are appreciated!

MattyB

From memory the M14x only had two RAM slots and I do not believe the laptop can take 16gb RAM modules. This means that 2 x 8gb is the max it can take.

KwkSilver

Thank you for your immediate response. It is most helpful.

I have been looking at 2x8GB RAM, but wanted some insight on 2x16GB RAM possibilities before I make the purchase.

KwkSilver

Ps.

RAM Sticks from;
Samsung vs Crucial vs Corsair vs Kingston?
Which should I focus my attention and research?
;
Same Alienware specs as aforementioned

MattyB

I use Crucial memory in most of my machines. They are a big supplier of RAM around the world. In reality it won't make a huge difference which one you go for. Just make sure you order SODIMM DDR3 or DDR3L memory. Desktop DIMM memory will not fit and DDR4 memory will not be compatible. I use 1866MHz DDR3L in my M18x and it should work fine in your R2 as they are from the same era.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32GB-16...-fur-Crucial-DE/143306614590?var=442220556353

KwkSilver

You definitely are extremely helpful. Thank you.

I figured the top name brand wouldn't matter. But I wanted to buy something already tried and true.

I hope to get keep my m14x r2 running/operating a few more years before a major purchase of a New Alienware Laptop. By then I will try and make it "future proof".

MattyB

Unfortunately there are too many limitations on laptops for them to be future proof. Your M14x has a socketed CPU which means you can replace the CPU with one of the same generation (3rd gen Intel) while you GPU is soldered to the motherboard so you are stuck with the 650M that it came with.
The M17x R4 and M18x R2 from the same generation as yours had a socketed CPU and GPU so there are more upgrades available. Some guys have even got Quadro RTX cards to work in the M18x.
Today's newer laptops are pretty much 100% soldered so most of the parts cannot be upgraded. Alienware's Area-51M laptop has replaceable parts so the CPU can be changed (but again only within the same generation). Technically the GPU should be upgradeable but they have now stiffed the R1 owners by making the new R2 GPU's incompatible with the R1 so no upgrades are really available.