M14X R2 CPU Upgrade i5 to i7 possible?

Roamingmark

Hey all,

I've picked up an M14X R2 laptop on the cheap that needed a few minor repairs and parts replaced and I was wondering if the CPU can be upgraded from an i5-3210M to an i7?
Not sure if the CPU is soldered to the motherboard or not.

Maelstrom

The CPU is not smoldered to the board and is completely up-gradable. You just need to cross check to make sure that which ever CPU you buy is compatible with the motherboard of the M14x R2.

l MC BENNETT l

I know nothing about computers so forgive my ignorance. I have an X51. Not sure if R1 or R2. Don't know what those are either...Is it possible to remove the i7 4770 from it and put it in an M14 replacing the i5 4200M. I know motherboard compatiblity is a requiremnt, just not sure how to check them.

MattyB

Welcome! Sorry but no you can't. For one, the CPU in AW's 14 inch machines are not replaceable like they are on their larger laptops. Secondly, even if it were, the socket wouldn't be compatible. The 4770 is a desktop processor so you would need a compatible mobile one for your laptop, ie 4900M (M being Mobile).
The only way to improve your CPU would be to source a new motherboard with the better CPU already on it. This would be quite expensive as the GPU would also have to be on there. You would be better off selling and rebuying.

areeves65

Hello, new to the form... Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on upgrading the i5 to i7? Thanks.

crystal

It depends on what do you mean by heavy gaming. If you mean by playing a ton of games, yes it will hold up (with i7 processor), or if you mean at high graphics settings, then it won't so much (for demanding titles).
buy.gif