M14x Raffle Ideas

What color M14x would you like to have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Looking for configuration ideas to Raffle off a M14x. Raffle tickets will be $10 each.

Examples:
A $1200 M14x would require 120 tickets to be sold.
A $1500 M14x would require 150 tickets to be sold.
A $1800 M14x would require 180 tickets to be sold.
And so on...you get the idea.

I will provide shipping to anywhere in the world so the winner does not have to worry about that.

So lets get a configuration figured out so I can order the machine and start the raffle.

MattyB

That's a great idea Tommy! I'll be in that for sure. I say have the thing maxed out at full specs. You shouldn't have any problems selling the tickets. I'll buy 10 right now!! :D

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
That's a great idea Tommy! I'll be in that for sure. I say have the thing maxed out at full specs. You shouldn't have any problems selling the tickets. I'll buy 10 right now!! :D
LOL, I know the screen, CPU and video card should bumped up. Memory and hard drive can easily be upgraded by the end user. If you all want a maxed out one, I'm game for that too.

Either way, it's pretty good odds everyone.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
How about this configuration? It sells for $1804, so 180 ticket would be available.

M14x - Stealth Black with Soft Touch Finish
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
750GB 7,200 RPM SATA + 32GB mSATA Caching SSD
2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™
14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0
Slot Load Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)

wilbymilstone

I say if you are going to do this then go full on, maxed out specs. Go big or go home! I have to ask the wife if I can buy any tickets. Probably have to give her the lappy if I were to win.

Maelstrom

You could go for lower end M17x's too. Some people might want a larger screen. You could also let the winner customize it how they want (that way then can spend any extra on games or something).

This is still going to be a pretty epic raffle though.

I also remembered that there is the color (black or red essentially) and the name plate that have to be chosen too.

At any rate, I got this configuration for $1899.

PROCESSOR3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM (8MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
OPERATING SYSTEMWindows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
MEMORY6GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
HARD DRIVE750GB 7,200 RPM SATA + 32GB mSATA Caching SSD
VIDEO CARD2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™
LCD PANEL14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
WIRELESS CARDSIntel® Advanced-N WiFi Link 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology with WiMax and Bluetooth 4.0
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVESlot Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)

EDIT: Also, I found a $50 coupon for any AW laptop that is greater than $1499 (there were also coupons to get up too $300 off the Aurora).

Last edited:

ThatOldGuy

I would say to get a model with the basic HDD in it, Most users here would want to put thier own SSD in it, That would save some money on the specs

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
You could go for lower end M17x's too. Some people might want a larger screen. You could also let the winner customize it how they want (that way then can spend any extra on games or something).

This is still going to be a pretty epic raffle though.

I also remembered that there is the color (black or red essentially) and the name plate that have to be chosen too.

At any rate, I got this configuration for $1899.

PROCESSOR3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM (8MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
HARD DRIVE750GB 7,200 RPM SATA + 32GB mSATA Caching SSD
WIRELESS CARDSIntel® Advanced-N WiFi Link 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology with WiMax and Bluetooth 4.0

EDIT: Also, I found a $50 coupon for any AW laptop that is greater than $1499 (there were also coupons to get up too $300 off the Aurora).
If I let the winner customize their own, then discussing current coupons and discounts really doesn't matter, they will have expired unless we sell all the tickets fast. If we spread the word around, then we might be able to that.

I would rather buy it now so I can document it for everyone that enters. Basically to take pictures of it sealed on the box, scan the invoice and post it up here, etc,... so everyone knows it's all legit with no funny business.

I would say to get a model with the basic HDD in it, Most users here would want to put thier own SSD in it, That would save some money on the specs
I agree, hard drive and memory doesn't need to be maxed out. CPU, Video Card, and Screen should be bumped up as they are much harder to upgrade.

The less it costs, the less tickets we have to sell, which is better IMO. It will make for a quick raffle.

Eirreann

Hey Tommy, just a suggestion, but for whatever model you order go for the cheapest i7 and the 1GB model GT 650. Why? The lowest i7 will be the more than enough to power that video card and the extra GB of VRam won't make any difference at all as far as gaming performance. Unfortunately with the M14x there is no option to upgrade the video card, because it is integrated with the motherboard, but even if there was, the GT 650 isn't a powerful enough card to manage any games or settings that would need 2GB of VRam, anyway, so there is virtually no point in the upgrade, unless you are completely willing to spend the extra, what is it, $100? (Information sourced from krishnooof from AWA, who is our most learned guy as far as Alienware laptops)

Commy1

Wow what a gamble. I'd love to win another Alienware, and I agree, go big or nothing, especially if the cost of the raffle tickets doesn't change. Although, as an admin you probably have access to sensitive information, like how many users there are actively using the site. Why not base the specs off of that, this is already a huge prize whether it's base level or advanced. I think starting small would be wise and gradual progression.

That's my 2 cents. I will likely purchase a ticket or two, it would make my month winning an updated m14x. I can think of a few people in my life who could use a PC upgrade, even if it is used.

Maelstrom

Ok, I see what you mean. With that in mind I got this configuration for $1774

HARD DRIVE500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s

All I did was max the processor, video card, LCD screen, and wireless card. I'm not sure about the wireless card though and it could easily be taken off for $50 putting the price at $1724.

HerrKaputt

Hey Tommy, just a suggestion, but for whatever model you order go for the cheapest i7 and the 1GB model GT 650. Why? The lowest i7 will be the more than enough to power that video card and the extra GB of VRam won't make any difference at all as far as gaming performance. Unfortunately with the M14x there is no option to upgrade the video card, because it is integrated with the motherboard, but even if there was, the GT 650 isn't a powerful enough card to manage any games or settings that would need 2GB of VRam, anyway, so there is virtually no point in the upgrade, unless you are completely willing to spend the extra, what is it, $100? (Information sourced from krishnooof from AWA, who is our most learned guy as far as Alienware laptops)
+1. The extra Vram is useless. The extra CPU might be marginally faster depending on the game, but hardly worth the money. I vote for definitely upgrading the screen, and nothing else. RAM and SSD can be bought aftermarket for a fraction of the price.

Maelstrom

I'm just going to say that on average I use about 1.9GB of VRAM playing LOL. I don't use as much for other games but it usually is more than a GB. And that's on my GT555M

MattyB

I say if you are going to do this then go full on, maxed out specs. Go big or go home! I have to ask the wife if I can buy any tickets. Probably have to give her the lappy if I were to win.
Hahaha!! How do I write a 'whipping' sound?? Just kidding mate :D

DecepticonZ9

its a great idea. but ya i agree on not upgrading ram or ssd since you can get it for half the price depending on the after market product

MattyB

Well Tommy, you have to say that you got everyone excited and talking! Marketing genius! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.