test

m14x vs m17x cant decide

Sora3

ok so my m14 had hardware issue and i had to return it :( so i am debating on getting another m14 becuase i love the size of it. on the other hand i can get a basic m17 for the same price. to those who own a m17 is it really big (im used to m14) i travel alot so i need something that is powerful and portable. i love the fact that i can hook my ps3 up to my laptop and play which is awesome. what to do -___-

MattyB

I used to have an M17x and I thought it was pretty big.....that is until I sold it and upgraded to an M18x!!! This thing is a monster! I bought an M14x for my GF and it seems like a pretty good size but there is no comparison to gaming on the 2 bigger ones. I say go for the M17x. It's more upgradable later on if you find a good deal on a graphics card and carrying it around will be character building! You would probably get a slightly better battery life from the M14x though.

Commy1

I would go with the M17x mate, I wasn't satisfied with the M14x after less than a year of owning it, that I couldn't upgrade the key components in any way bothered me to no end. It is a bit bigger yeah, maybe a lot bigger but it'll be worth it.

SpyderBite

We have had a m17x for about 5 months and its been wonderful. However, I was uncomfortable with the amount of real estate it took up since I game on the living room table. If I were still spending all my computer time at my desk in our home office upstairs; this would be a fantastic desktop replacement.

So, for me, the m14x was the perfect solution. :)

Today:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364036900.187438.jpg

Sora3

thanks for the pics, it gives me a really good side by side and wow it is alot bigger than the m14. i have a small desk so with my m14 everything fit perfectly. i think this just solidified my decision. the m17 is just too big for me right now, so the m14 with ssd and i7 is what im thinking just waiting on my refund from dell. appreciate all the help guys ill post the specs when i order it. BTW we have the same u2 cooler, it works great so far. do you get any light rattling noise when it is on?

edit: but at the same time the m17 is so much better lol.
-sigh- 1st world problems suck:p

Last edited:

ripperbone

I have a M17 and when I got it in Oct i was debating between it and the M14.

the M17 has the battery that is removable, has the bigger screen for gaming. plus I wanted a beast.

Sora3

is the standard gtx 660 a good card. i know its alot better than the 650m on the m14 but what what would be the difference. i played bf3 on my m14 on medium settings getting 50-60 fps.

SpyderBite

fwiw.. I have the 2gb 650m in my m14x and I am able to get upwards of 50-70 fps in GW2 and SWtOR on high settings during heavy loads (PvP, WvWvW, City Hubs). I can't comment on FPS games since they're not my cup of tea.

AeonSoul

Also, is you travel alot, keep in mind that the m17x weighs around 5kgs.

Meaker

<b>Retailer</b>
They really are two machines designed for different usage patterns, this is why IMO they need a 15.6" machine to sit in the middle to cover that mid ground of needs.

yikes81

Depends if you are after a desktop replacement or something portable. The M17x is a beast. And heavy too.

I have it, but it replaced my old desktop.

If you loved the size of the M14x, then I say get another one.

Sent via Tapatalk

Meaker

<b>Retailer</b>
If you can wait you can see if something interesting comes out of the new M14X or if there is an intermediate machine added with the haswell update.