test

M15x Owner, UNITE!

n9emz

I am not upset with the machine or "Liam," the seller above. I am DISAPPOINTED that I have so far been unable to find a viable workaround for the OS issue(s) at this point. It's a cosmetically beautiful machine that far exceeded my expectations upon receipt. I don't hate Vista....it's just that I was aware of Vista issues and therefore spec'd my machine for XP Pro when I ordered it. Had it been disclosed that the machine's COA sticker stated it was loaded with Vista, I would not have purchased it.

I spent nearly two hours today with techs I have emphatically trusted since before the thought of Alienware entered my mind. I have reviewed the possible alternatives/solutions the seller suggested and haven't reached a point where I have given up yet. My techs have installed a HD and attempted to load Win 10 Home and Pro without success. Furthermore, they stated that due to hardware configuration issues, neither Win 7 or 8 are viable alternative options. Yet, I still am hopeful I can discover a workaround.

I have asked NOTHING of the seller but a workable option other than what he has proffered because I would prefer to keep this beautiful machine and make it work.

My 2008 build sheet as shipped:
build sheet 2.jpg

alienwarebob

it runs windows 7 just fine. I wish your tech would just try to install. As you can see in the photos it had Win7 running on it before I pulled the hard drive And shipped it.

n9emz

it runs windows 7 just fine. I wish your tech would just try to install. As you can see in the photos it had Win7 running on it before I pulled the hard drive And shipped it.
I again looked at the photos and found none identifying a Win 7 installation. There are two screenshots in which all printing isn't legible. Before I can proceed further, I have to find a hard drive deal.... no way I'm willing to dump that much more cash into purchasing one at retail locally. Then there's the vid card incompatibility issue I was unaware of until you posted it in your op above. I sincerely appreciate your offering me a refund and am diligently searching out a viable alternative.

If anyone else could see this machine up close and personal, it would eliminate any doubt as to my legitimate desire to keep it. It is absolutely MINT in appearance.... far superior to any other original M15x I've seen up for sale over a two month search. In fact, I have become so infatuated with your machine I'm determined to make it work if at all possible.

Point of curiosity.... Why didn't you image clone and save the hard drive, wipe and reinstall it and the graphics card?

alienwarebob

There wasn’t really anything to clone. I was using an old hard drive and slapped a new install on it. The machine was pretty much used for coffee shop hopping :)

The video card incompatibility issue is related to the driver, which simply doesn’t work on Windows 10. It works fine on Windows 7.

I removed the 8800M because the internal GPU to get better battery life and the compatibility is perfectly fine on all OS’s that I used on it from Linux Mint to Windows 10 LTSB. The 8800M GTX is basically useless and eats up power, lowering battery life. Gaming on a 2008 video card in 2020 on a modern OS just isn’t worth the time. If you wanted to utilize the GPU, then I would recommend resetting the machine back to Windows stock (I can give you a win xp license if you wanted, since we all agree Vista is terrible).

image 2 of 7 and image 3 of 7 on the listing are Windows 7. One is it installing and the other is the home screen of windows 7, also attached here

Attachments

alienwarebob

Since you already have this same exact machine, you should be able to just take the hard drive from the other machine that works and pop it into this one to ensure it works. Assuming you had the same hardware config.

alienwarebob

I again looked at the photos and found none identifying a Win 7 installation. There are two screenshots in which all printing isn't legible. Before I can proceed further, I have to find a hard drive deal.... no way I'm willing to dump that much more cash int U.N. o purchasing one at retail locally. Then there's the vid card incompatibility issue I was unaware of until you posted it in your op above. I sincerely appreciate your offering me a refund and am diligently searching out a viable alternative.

If anyone else could see this machine up close and personal, it would eliminate any doubt as to my legitimate desire to keep it. It is absolutely MINT in appearance.... far superior to any other original M15x I've seen up for sale over a two month search. In fact, I have become so infatuated with your machine I'm determined to make it work if at all possible.

Point of curiosity.... Why didn't you image clone and save the hard drive, wipe and reinstall it and the graphics card?

Windows 10 guide: https://www.alienowners.com/threads/area-51-m15x-windows-10-upgrade-problem.8150/post-38453

I’ve read here on the forum that some people just switch to an ATI card if they want discrete graphics on windows 10 like the 3870. Microsoft just doesn’t support 8800M GTX on Windows 10. It’s too old of a card.

For the record, my eBay listing description:
Alienware Area 51 M15x-R1. Condition is Used and sold as is! It’s an old machine, but has been great for coffee shops and web browsing.

Battery is pretty good for its age and I was able to get an hour to hour and a half.

I removed the NViDIA 8800M GTX, but will include card. Could not get it to install drivers in Windows 10.

Last edited:

n9emz

I thought I clearly stated in my ebay communications with you that I purchased the machine for a replacement lid for the machine my recently deceased wife "stole" from me, the very day I unboxed it from AW. When I unpacked your machine and I observed it's cosmetic perfection, I immediately scrapped that plan. This is by no stretch of imagination merely a "parts mule" to be robbed of a relatively inconsequential part, with the remainder to be forgotten and casually discarded. Somebody, somewhere can make this machine work without resorting to extreme measures and expense you suggested so far.

I am not a tech guru, and have relied upon the advice and assistance of techs who have proven their superior skills and knowledge over the course of nearly 20 years. I started out being the "bad guy" in every portrayed scenario since your original post. In good faith I purchased this machine, without a hard drive and the included/removed graphics card, with your assurances any resultant issues could be easily resolved. On the other hand, your neglecting to mention or post an image of the COA sticker portraying the machine with the Vista OS would have immediately dissuaded me from the purchase.

Your previous post about refunding my purchase and and burying the machine in your back yard upon its return is becoming increasingly more illuminating as this dilemma progresses. If anyone else wishes additional illumination, the ebay listing number is 114136128271.

alienwarebob

I’m just not seeing how Windows 7 is an extreme measure.

I’m really sorry for the frustration honestly. Did not intend to paint you as a bad person. I was just saying that it had Win7 and it runs Win7 perfectly well. Regardless of the Vista COD sticker, a lot of people tend to remove anyway, did not intend to create problems.

You’re clearly trying your best and frankly what you intended to do was very sweet from the onset. I in no way meant to create any bad juju here. You have the ability to return it if you decide or I’m happy to provide a partial refund. Just let me know.

All the best,
aw-bob

n9emz

I've gotten absolutely nothing positive accomplished today but concentrating on numerous posts here and ebay communications regarding this lovely machine, which everyone but you and I consider a beautiful paperweight. I'm neither angry nor disappointed beyond my disappointment that no simple solution has revealed itself. I am both physically and mentally exhausted to the point I MUST get some rest. I have numerous emails out and perhaps what I want as a simple and economical solution will arrive in my inboxes when I regain consciousness on the morrow.

I am acutely frustrated most by the fact that I do not possess the knowledge or skills to personally fix this and must rely upon others to resolve my dilemma. Age of the machine is of no concern to me because my machine continues, in its sorry cosmetic condition, to run like a scalded behind ape to this day, and every electrical feature performs flawlessly. I don't perceive anyone as the boogeyman or bad guy here; I only feel disappointment. However this situation is resolved, I refuse to rape this beautiful machine for its top cover and hinges.

Later, Liam..... I wish you a peaceful and restful night, my friend.

n9emz

Liam,

I'm on the road and best contact info is in my siggy. Thanks.