M17-R1 Troubleshooting

alienwarebob

Oct 26, 2014
USA
Today I swapped lids on the 17-R1 and first boot was fine as Windows loaded up and everything. Then just now I tried to turn it on and machine made 3 beeps, keyboard turned red, and the screen is black. I tried an external display and no dice. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

thanks!

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Hey Bob, which machine did you have? Your thread title says M17 R1 but the post mentions the 17 R1 which is a different machine. Alienware has a confusing naming system.

M17x R1-R4 (2009-2014)

17 R1-R5 (2015-2018)

M17 R1-R3 (2019-Current)

The 3-Beep code relates to the Motherboard Chipset which can mean that your board has failed. It may also just need an NVRAM/CMOS reset. How to do this will depend on what laptop you have.
To start, I would try a power drain with the RAM also removed. It works on the rare occasion and it is pretty easy to do. Remove the adapter, battery and RAM and hold the power button down for 30-60 seconds. Depending on what laptop you have, there could be RAM beneath your keyboard.
When you say that you swapped the lid does this mean that you replaced the entire display?

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah the CMOS reset, but I've never done one on the M17 R1 so I'm unsure of the process.

If you only changed the cover and not any electrical component then you may have done something to the board. I hope not, for your sake. I would retrace your steps and make sure everything is plugged in properly.

alienwarebob

Oct 26, 2014
USA
That did the trick. One other weird issue I’m having is that the lid won’t close like it used to. I have to manually push it down until it clicks where it used to just auto click into place. The lid L connectors look new and I’m wondering if they’re just not long enough? The palm rest seems to be as tight as possible?

also anyone have any tricks for getting stuck screws out of the chassis? Learned quite a bit about screw tracking after forgetting which screw goes where. Messed up 2 screws on the bottom that turned out to have too wide of a top for the screw hole but somehow got far enough down.

Also for the lid bumpers that cover the screw what kind of glue do you guys use to hold them in place? They all seem about the same size but it seems like the two bottom ones near the Alienware logo don’t protrude like they used to and just sit down into the front bezel and the screw behind it. They even seem to fall into the space between the bezel and the lid. It seems connected right so I’m not sure why this happens