M17X 1st Edition 2009 Model problems!! with SSD

Marc

Apr 14, 2014
United States
Hello all and glad this site was found, trying to put in an ssd 240gb Crucial HD in my Alienware M17X it is dated from 10/19/2009 service code 6Q7W4K1, originally came with vista but has windows 7 for quite sometime now..Originally it was in raid stripped with 2 140gb drives but recently it has been acting strange..removed both drives replaced it with an SSD Crucial M500 240gb drive and no matter what i do i cannot boot from the cd-dvd drive, to reinstall win 7 all i get is a bunch of nivida failed tests and then finally No operating system found??? next i see that i have more than 2 partitions there are 4 one very small one at several hundred meg and one at 45GB? that i cannot delete, whats strange is that i cannot delete any of the extra partitions so i would have only the original 140GB drives in raid stripped ready to go for reinstall via the original hard drives since the SSD is giving me such a hard time....Here is the kicker with both regular hard drives in place as usual drop in windows 7 install disk i get to where it shows me the partitions and i cannot delete or manipulate any of them??? WOW.. So i stop the install, i set it up for raid stripe as it was when purchased both drives are identical....really strange, but if i could get the SSD in would be happy but just cant get it to read from anything to install...going crazy..any ideas is it too old? But they show an SSD upgrade under my service code, have no back up respawn just cant understand why cant do a clean install SSD or the original HDs via raid stripe..Thanks for listening to me vent...appreciated..

Marc
Brooklyn NY

I would remove all hard drives..install the SSD load install Win7 on it. You will have to first boot into Bios F2 and change the setting from Raid to ACHI then install the Win7. After your done you should be able to reformat the other drive after you install it. The proble your having is both drives were Raid half of Windows on each so its still trying to boot to them and half is gone. Best to always do a fresh install with only one (new) drive at a time so the loader will not get confused. Good luck

Marc

Apr 14, 2014
United States
I would remove all hard drives..install the SSD load install Win7 on it. You will have to first boot into Bios F2 and change the setting from Raid to ACHI then install the Win7. After your done you should be able to reformat the other drive after you install it. The proble your having is both drives were Raid half of Windows on each so its still trying to boot to them and half is gone. Best to always do a fresh install with only one (new) drive at a time so the loader will not get confused. Good luck

Yes tried that problem being wont read from install disc, move cd/dvd drive in bios to top slot and still get the problem no operating system found.