M17X R1 Help (got a used one and have some questions)

Kanes_Inferno

So, I lucked up and got a M17x for DIRT cheap from a local seller. I need help with a few items

1. It only works plugged in (knew this before I bought it). Where is the best place to get a replacement battery and how much would I be looking at? I have checked all around and I can only find replacements for the newer models, not the R1... Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

2. It has 4GB of ram. I see from the manual it can hold up to 8GB. Dell only sells the 4GB sticks individually, not in a pair and they're expensive. But I'm curious if I ordered two sticks would they work together, I normally only buy ram together and not separate like that.

3. I know in the newer models like my 15 R2 the GPU and other parts can't really be upgraded, but I had heard in these older/bigger models you can. I'm curious what the motherboard can actually hold and BIOS actually recognize. It would be pretty cool to be able to make it decently powerful, if not oh well I'll do some minor upgrades (like getting it to 8GB of ram , instead of the 4GB it's at, and installing a new HDD)...Just curious what CPU and GPUs I could do, what the costs would be, and if it'd be more difficult than my desktop experiences or not. So, what processors and GPUs can the motherboard support? I have the MX17 R1 with the dual core processor.

Any tips or suggestions? I'm already in the process of updating all of the drivers. It was Windows Vista Ultimate on it. I plan to get a Windows 10 key and install it, after I upgrade the HDD. It has a 300GB HDD, I plan to add a new SSD or at least a second HDD with more space.

CapnRich

This may be too late, but I upgraded my MX17 r1 laptop. I changed out the CPU to faster one, updated the BIOS, bumped up the RAM to 8GB, and installed a 250GB SSD HDD and just recently installed WIN 10 Professional. Initially stripped it down to chassis and had to solder on a new power plugin, as this was what initially started the whole process. It was given to me totally dead, so I learned alot in the process. I love this big, heavy laptop. Buildt like a tank!

CapnRich

No, just replaced same with same. It has the nVidia Geoforce 9400, and the nVidia GTX260m. Still might mess around with the GTX, but its good for now. I upgrade the CPU to a Intel Core 2 Extreme Q9300. Really helped in my opinion. This was basically a personal challenge and learning project that turned out better than I expected! I also updated the Bios to A07.

MattyB

Staff member
Awesome. It's a lot of fun working on the older machines and getting them running faster. I'd definitely try putting another card in there. Even just a 660m or something nice and cheap.

CapnRich

Thanks for the tip! The specs are alot better than the GTX260. I'll research the compatibility for this early AW M17x and maybe give it a try. When I research this laptop, seems some a calling it R1, while some parts are for R2. It doesnt say in the BIOS or system information. Very confusing

MattyB

Staff member
I think you have the R1, based on your CPU but I can't be certain. You should also be able to put two GPU's in there. They removed the second GPU on the R3. You'll need to find an old SLI cable if you don't have one in there.

MattyB

Staff member
They are big sexy machines. I had a red R2 for a short time. The grey looks really nice.