M17x R1 Upgrade to R2 motherboard.....

Roamingmark

Hello all,

I have managed to pick up a cheap m17x R1 and have read its possible to upgrade to an r2 motherboard.
Was wondering if anyone on here has been successful with a similar upgrade or could point me in the right direction.

I have an i7 720qm cpu
2 x 5870 crossfire ready.
8GB Ram
120 GB SSD + 1tb storage HDD

So just wanted to know if this is possible and what parts im going to need for this upgrade

Cheers

MattyB

Hmmm...probably not worth the expense really. You are still upgrading to an out of date machine which will be limited in it's power. After you buy parts for your upgrade you would just be better off selling the R1 and spending maybe $500 more and getting an R3 which is still decent. You would really need to buy a new motherboard, CPU and GPU's to improve your machine which would be costly.
If not, try this link
I'm guessing you like the crossfire/SLI option though.

Roamingmark

Yeah the crossfire is appealing.
Might just get a quad core processor (qx9300) as I have read that there isn't much difference between them and the first edition i7 processors. Just missing the turbo option.
Crossfire 5870's is still a very good setup and with two SSD's the machine should fly for another year or two.

shankc

I like the idea of 2 graphics cards I wish I went for the M18xR2. Don't get me wrong I love my M17x R4 but that extra umph of the 2 cards would be great. If its going to be to expensive to upgrade or not possible to upgrade to the 780m I think I will be investing in a M18xR2 as I like the look but maybe swayed when I see the new M18 decisions decisions lol