test

M17x r2 crucial RAM upgrade issue

altizego

Hi everyone, I just tried to install Crucial brand ram that was recommended by them. I've seen multiple users upgrade to 16GB so i bought 2 8GBs. apparently bios doesn't pick it up but it still reads via windows.
i get an error when trying to boot my windows 10 and BIOs says they don't exist. I've tried researching this specific problem to no avail. I've attached a couple images of my alien specs and RAM purchased. Please let me know what other info you might need. Hope someone can help me resolve this issue :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201210-204446_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201210-204446_Chrome.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20201210-204116_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201210-204116_Chrome.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 2

MattyB

These older laptops often don't see the correct RAM in the BIOS. As long as it shows up in Windows then you're good.
What other error are you getting? You may want to try DDR3 memory instead of DDR3L. 1.35V DDR3L is backwards compatible so it should work but 1.5V DDR3 is what your machine was shipped with. I use DDR3L in my M18x R2 but your M17x R2 is a few years older than mine.
It's also possible that your CPU cannot handle 8gb memory sticks. You may need to use 4x4gb
If your only issue is that the BIOS isn't reading the correct memory size then you don't really have a problem.

altizego

hi matty! thanks for you reply.
It's not just in bios, it won't go beyond that and i keep getting an error where windows won't load. Can't remember exact windows error page. it tries to correct itself then freezes. Tried it at least a dozen times with different settings. Like only one 8gb ram and one 2gb original with 1 new 8gb,etc with different bios advanced settings.
Im in the midst of returning them back to newegg. That makes sense with the 4x4gb. I do have a really old model lol. Do you suggest another brand or specific model that's not Crucial? or should that suffice?

MattyB

Crucial is usually decent enough. I would definitely go for DDR3 instead of DDR3L (1600Mhz speed at most). It could be that the system is just a little too old to run 1.35V memory properly.

altizego

Crucial is usually decent enough. I would definitely go for DDR3 instead of DDR3L (1600Mhz speed at most). It could be that the system is just a little too old to run 1.35V memory properly.
thanks for the heads up! i will try a 4g ddr3. have a great day :D

altizego

oh and also crucial doesn't seem to have DDR3. all compatible ones on their site are all DDR3L only hmmm

MattyB

Yeah it does look like they ditched 1.5V memory which is strange. Probably because 1.35V should be backwards compatible so 1.5V shouldn't be necessary. eBay should be your best bet, just search for DDR3 SODIMM 1600 1.5V

altizego

Yeah it does look like they ditched 1.5V memory which is strange. Probably because 1.35V should be backwards compatible so 1.5V shouldn't be necessary. eBay should be your best bet, just search for DDR3 SODIMM 1600 1.5V
ok great! i will look for those specs:) i will come back to this post if it fails again ok hehe. thanks!

AssimilatorX

Mine running 2x8GB modules from G-Skill that uses Samsung chips. No issues since 3 three years now. Only thing I noticed that when I go into BIOS it reports "0MB RAM" But it boots fine and windows 10 reports the full speed and 16GB RAM.

altizego

Thanks for the info! i did successfully install the 2 4gbs. not much if a difference but definitely a little one! i will try your later. can u send me specs or link to what you have please? thanks!
Mine running 2x8GB modules from G-Skill that uses Samsung chips. No issues since 3 three years now. Only thing I noticed that when I go into BIOS it reports "0MB RAM" But it boots fine and windows 10 reports the full speed and 16GB RAM.