M17x r3 GPU card

Grandad1971

Hi all.i have have come across said laptop with a cooked amd/ATI GPU card.

The Intel hd3000 integrated all work fine but the discreet card although recognised in BIOS and in win 7 when I install the correct drivers all I get is a black screen.

So my question do I have to stay with the amd card or can I go down the Nvidia route.

Also I dont want to go all extravagant with changing bios settings and such.

Many thanks in advance

MattyB

I've never had an AMD card in my AW machines but the heatsinks are slightly different between the brands. If you want to go with an Nvidia card then it's best to get the 3-pipe Nvidia heatsink as well. The 580M was the top card released with the R3 so I believe you will needed a modded driver to use anything higher. You shouldn't need an unlocked BIOS for the 680M but you may need it for the 780M.
I'll see if I can confirm this.

Grandad1971

Ok many thanks.just find it weird windows finds and asks for driver when I install it I get black screen. I should add I have done all bios updates too and gpu-z does detect card as well but when doing so says no memory so maybe mem chip has cooked.

MattyB

Yeah that's a weird one but it sounds like you could be right.
As per my previous message, you will need the modded driver for the 680M and you will also have to disable driver signature but all that is pretty easy. You will need the modded BIOS for the 780M to change a few settings. It isn't hard but it just adds extra steps and flashing a BIOS can be risky (although I've done it countless times without issue)
You could just go for the 580M and save some trouble, and money.
What AMD card did you have? The 7970 was always considered pretty decent and you can pick them up for peanuts.

Grandad1971

Hi Matty,my card is the expensive hd6970 as used in the Mac's of same era so prices for same card are over the £100 mark.i do personally prefer Nvidia over ATI just my preference.so I understand correctly if I pick up a 580m no modding to bios needed just p+p ??? Many thanks again for advice given.

MattyB

No modding at all, just grab the driver from NVidia. The heatsinks could be different due to the actual GPU on your card being at a different angle to the Nvidia cards. I believe some people get away with using the same heatsink but I've never had an AMD card.