m17x r3 video card upgrade

jims

does anyone here what are the compatible video cards for an alienware m17x r3 recently i have an ati radeon6990m but i think my card has been damage because evrytime i play games after about 5 mins from the start of the game my screen suddenly acting weird sometimes my screen turns white, hope any one can help

MattyB

Welcome!
Just about every recent mobile graphics card will be able to work in your machine. Some will only work with some software modification though. I am not sure about the AMD cards but you will be able to use any 500, 600 or 700 series NVidia card. A 580M should work without any modified drivers but you will have to use modded ones for the 600 and 700 series cards.
Have you tried updating your AMD driver first though?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

jims

Welcome!
Just about every recent mobile graphics card will be able to work in your machine. Some will only work with some software modification though. I am not sure about the AMD cards but you will be able to use any 500, 600 or 700 series NVidia card. A 580M should work without any modified drivers but you will have to use modded ones for the 600 and 700 series cards.
Have you tried updating your AMD driver first though?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

yes i tried updating my amd drivers but i ended in bluescreen,
and lately during i play games my screen turns to white sometime blue stripes or red stripes,
what would be the compatible graphic card for my system? thanks for the reply

AeonSoul

Keep in mind that switching from AMD to NVIDIA might require also some heathsink modifications, since the cards dies are different.
Your system, being an r3, supports withouth having to do any much work, any card that you could find in the r3s when you purchased your system, those being NVIDIA up to and including the GTX 580M (and obviously those below), and AMD I think the whole serie 6xxx.

If you want to go above that (I installed a GTX 675M in my r3 recently), you will need to used a modded BIOS and modded drivers.

BrokeHombre

I would download the correct driver (dbl check to make sure it is the correct driver) and then uninstall the card from the device manager and then re-install it using the driver you just downloaded. once you un-install it restart the pc - if windows wants to go out to the web to locate the drivers tell it no and use the driver you downloaded. if after that you still have issues - use the diagnostic features in the bios - if it is determined after that the the vid card is faulty then I would start considering a compatible swap....

jims

sorry for the late, its been a long voyage :) i try to loosen the 4 screw on the gpu and for two days now the laptop is running good :) but i think i will re-pasting when i get home :) thanks for all who reply to this post :)