M17x R4 battery repack?

VRTX

Hi Guys,

battery on my M17xR4 is completely dead, there's no response even from the charge level indicator lights. since I received the laptop as a non working unit I suspect that it was left for an extended period in this state and the battery eventually discharged past the safe level. from my limited knowledge, these batteries have a BMS circuit that will 'lock' itself when the voltage drops below a certain point thus rendering the whole battery dead and unusable. tried to connect a multimeter to the outputs on the battery but it comes back with no reading at all. I believe its a 9 cell design using 18650 size batteries and the model number for the battery in question is BTYVOY1.

has anyone had any luck with repacking (replacing the battery cells) these batteries?

I know it can be done with most laptop batteries and there are tons of videos on it but none pertaining to these batteries in particular. if anyone has tried or succeeded in reviving one of these battery packs Id like to hear your experience as well as any information around "unlocking" the BMS once the repack has been done. I have a feeling that these batteries will not be very simple to revive...

I have replacement cells at hand for this but want to hopefully get some pointers before I go about opening the battery up and attempting this.

VRTX

Ok so I have taken the battery pack appart, i have replaced the cells with fresh new cells but the battery still doesnt allow any output once the bms curcuit has been connected, even charge level lights do not respond when button is pressed.

I have tried to power the board up from the output side but this doesnt seem to wake it up.

Fresh batteries have been wired up correctly and are producing the right current and voltage when measured before the bms circuit.

If anyone knows anything else I can try, i would be grateful.

Attachments

• 20210601_204511.jpg
    20210601_204511.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0