M17X R4 Bios overclocking

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
Hi their has anyone got any info on overclocking in the BIOS I have enabled overclocking in the BIOS it gives you options to change frequency of ram and other settings but I don't want to do anything until I have more information so all help would be appreciated

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
Their has got to of been someone who's been in BIOS and went to performance options. It has CPU turbo mode-enable next overclocking feature then process and host speed override then it has 1-4 core core ratio limit. Below bus clock then current frequency New frequency in 10khz increments. The GT overclocking is greyed out so u must have to flash video BIOS for that. Then memory overclocking, memory override support, memory voltages where u can change voltages,memory frequency and then Dimm profile (xmp) all options to overclock in BIOS by pressing f2 at startup going to advanced then down to performance options then you have overclock options stated above I can't of been the only one who has noticed. I've googled it to no avail someone on here must have more info as I've changed my CPU settings and I'm getting over 4ghz no problem,but I don't no what to do with oc the ram so please any help will be appreciated

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I have never overclocked RAM so can't help you there. You may find that increasing the bus clock will make small increases to your RAM speed but it's probably not good to mess with the bus too much. You really need an extreme processor and unlocked BIOS to overclock properly. Mr Fox is the guru with all that. Just increasing your multiplier will do what you need until you have to start increasing voltages. Run Prime95 for a while to see how stable your overclock is. If any errors pop up you're too high.

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
I'm just amazed that nobody hasn't opened a thread explaining this as I would of thought if it gives you these options in the BIOS that it should be the safest way of overclocking your processor and ram or it wouldn't be accesable in the first place. But thanks for your contribution mattyb I just hope that a lot more people get in on this topic as I've had this option since the earliest BIOS all the way to A11 and would like to get it mastered with the help of my Alienware colleagues so all contribution's will be very much appreciated many thanks

BrokeHombre

Apr 15, 2013
USA
In my opinion and personally speaking - I dont see a need to OC my machine - Quadcore i7 with 24gig of RAM is plenty fast for me and as stable as can be :) - many people probably feel the same, but then again thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
I found a modified BIOS along time ago for my M14x, not that I used most of it's capability. My issue was that the A... 10? BIOS didn't properly support SATA III speeds but A08 did. SO a programmer posted this merged BIOS with unlocked capability and it was fantastic, SSD worked like a charm.

They do exist, just make sure there are a lot of people to review from, I'd hate to flash my BIOS with something that's garbage...

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
In my opinion and personally speaking - I dont see a need to OC my machine - Quadcore i7 with 24gig of RAM is plenty fast for me and as stable as can be :) - many people probably feel the same, but then again thats just my opinion.

My system is fast enough its just if their is an added option in the BIOS I want to no as much about it as possible. I'm not a benchmark person I just like to no the ins and outs of my system and I can't find anything on the web about it so I'm asking the best knowledge base I no

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Tech|Inferno would have some of the best overclockers around. Some of their moderators are the guys who bring out most of the unlocked BIOS'. For the more hardcore questions they can be good to ask. This forum is way better for those who need help for most other stuff though.

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
Tech|Inferno would have some of the best overclockers around. Some of their moderators are the guys who bring out most of the unlocked BIOS'. For the more hardcore questions they can be good to ask. This forum is way better for those who need help for most other stuff though.
I'm not wanting to find out about unlocked BIOS I just want to no more about the performance option that's in every Alienware BIOS. Your input is much appreciated thanks

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
Okay thanks Matty I will check that out its just everyone seems to think I want overclock my system. I no how to do that but I don't want to, its just I came across the performance option in BIOS and I just want to understand what its for and how it works,overclocking is okay if you want high benchmark results but I don't want my GPU or CPU burning out for little gain in gaming its totally different if you have a desktop computer they have the cooling capacity. But thanks for all input its much appreciated