M17x R4 GPU Drivers Nvidia 970M 2021 Help! - Mod your Nvidia Driver

Kalak

Jun 29, 2021
Argentina
Hi, I recently bought an Alienware M17xR4 with windows 10. The problem is that I download the latest version of the GPU driver (Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M) and when I install the update, I get two notifications.
1 The driver is not supported by the operating system.
2 The driver is not compatible with the GPU
I cannot update and the last version I have installed is 353.54, which is already obsolete for new programs.
I already used the DDU to erase the old driver and re-install and I cannot solve it, I contacted Nivida support and they told me to contact Dell, which no longer supports these computers.
S.O.S please if anyone knows any solution to install the latest driver update, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much for reading
Greetings.

Attachments

• screen2.png
    screen2.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2021-06-20 (2).png
    2021-06-20 (2).png
    136.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2021-06-20 (3).png
    2021-06-20 (3).png
    165.8 KB · Views: 1

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Hello Kalak, you need to run a modded Nvidia driver to run any card newer than a GTX 680M on your R4. You can have a read through the guide below which is what I used to learn how to do it. It can seem a little tricky at first but it gets easier when you do it a few times.

https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

I'm happy to help walk you through the process.

Reactions: Kalak

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Before you start, use DDU again to make sure you're starting clean.
Download the latest Nvidia driver for the 970M and start the install. When it fails, you need to leave the failed installer open and go to your C: drive and find the NVIDIA folder. Copy and paste this folder in the same C: drive and it should auto-name itself NVIDIA - Copy. Now you can close the failed installer and you'll find that the NVIDIA folder should be gone and you'll be left with the NVIDIA - Copy folder. This is the folder that you need so you can mod the nvdmi.inf.

Reactions: Kalak

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
If you're having any issues then let me know and I'll sort it out with you. It's critical that you get the device ID line and String perfectly correct or it won't work.

Once you've correctly modded the .inf then you need to remember to disable driver signature enforcement before attempting to install the driver. To do this you hold SHIFT while clicking restart then go to Troubleshoot - Advanced options - Startup Settings and hit the restart tab on the screen. When it restarts you press option 7. Then you can go into the NVIDIA - Copy folder and find the setup.exe in the International folder. The driver will then start to install. If you've modded it correctly you will get a red warning message pop up and you just have to accept it and the driver will finish installing.

Kalak

Jun 29, 2021
Argentina
Well, I followed the process step by step following your guide and helping me with a youtube tutorial ... I can finally say that I was able to install the latest version of the driver!
Again, thank you very much MattyB for your help, I really appreciate it.
Hopefully this post can help more users with this problem. I am attaching the video with which I complement the guide for those who need them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufhTDnL46v4&t=317s

Greetings and go well.

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Awesome! Great work following the tutorials. You will have to do the same procedure each time you update the driver but it really only takes 5-10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

I have just moved the thread to the M17x section instead of the 17 section.
I have also made it sticky to make it easier for others to get information on how to mod a driver.