Maxing out the specs on M18x series

JediFonger

Jul 31, 2017
1. What's the max# of cores and fastest CPU we can upgrade to?
2. Max system RAM 16GB< speeds?
3. Max storage configurations? raid1, 2+TB?
4. wifi 802.11ac wiG?
5. USB3.x expansion possible on ExpressCard ports/accessories?

Reactions: Cas

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Hi @Cas if you want to max out your M18x then I can offer some advice. The available upgrades will be different between the R1 and R2. Unfortunately the R1 is a little more limited. I've never tried upgrading the wifi card or using the expresscard slot.
M18x R2 - Upgrades
CPU - 3920XM or 3940XM
RAM - 32GB DDR3L 2133Mhz (1866Mhz is the price/performance sweet spot for me)
Storage - There are three 2.5" bays and one mSata slot. The optical drive bay can also be converted to hold another 2.5" drive. I believe it will take 4TB drives which means you could have over 16TB of storage. The secondary GPU MXM slot can also house an NVMe adapter (like mine does) so you can theoretically have over 20TB total storage.
GPU - The GTX 1070 is a great option but others have had some success with the RTX 5000 (quadro version of the 2080)

Reactions: Cas

Cas

Feb 1, 2021
Texas
Hi @Cas if you want to max out your M18x then I can offer some advice. The available upgrades will be different between the R1 and R2. Unfortunately the R1 is a little more limited. I've never tried upgrading the wifi card or using the expresscard slot.
M18x R2 - Upgrades
CPU - 3920XM or 3940XM
RAM - 32GB DDR3L 2133Mhz (1866Mhz is the price/performance sweet spot for me)
Storage - There are three 2.5" bays and one mSata slot. The optical drive bay can also be converted to hold another 2.5" drive. I believe it will take 4TB drives which means you could have over 16TB of storage. The secondary GPU MXM slot can also house an NVMe adapter (like mine does) so you can theoretically have over 20TB total storage.
GPU - The GTX 1070 is a great option but others have had some success with the RTX 5000 (quadro version of the 2080)
much thanx for the info, I have an r2, need to upgrade, tried the wifi and issues out the wazoo...def going to try these out, thanks again..this is wha got me started, i am waiting for the updated wifi 6 card, i contacted him and says he did 9 other m18x r2 with no issues..so hopefully it works, the one in the video doesn't work for me... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QV0UoOmC-Q&t=270s&ab_channel=CSStudios

Slagr

Apr 16, 2021
Illinois
awesome, you have a recommendation or where you ordered from?
I fortunately picked it up in that configuration to begin with. Only thing was that the screen had some black spots from pressure or heat or whatever which lowered the price a little. But I happened to have an R1 with a good screen lying around so I swapped them. Any best-in-slot component costs exponentially more than even one step down so just be aware that maxing out piece-by-piece will be probably a $500+ job. But ebay has worked fine for me.