Method for installing xbox controller to windows

spacebooger

If you like me could not install the xbox 360 controller no matter what method you used and all it would keep saying is "no driver found" i figured this out on my own and took me all of 60 seconds

first go to control panel, then click on device manager, then right click the device the device that has the ! on it that is the controller, proceed to "Update driver software" click on "browse my computer for driver software" but instead of browsing click the link below it that says " Let me pick from a list of device drivers"
1.jpg

then find and select "Microsoft common controller for windows class" then click next.
2.jpg

Now select the driver for your xbox controller
3.jpg

it will ack you are you sure ect. click yes, and now your controller is working.
and bam thats how I solved my problem :D

shankc

Yeah that's the way I done it, The driver disc that came with my controller was useless but I'd stumbled on a site just before buying my wireless controller and it couldn't be more easier but nice work spacebooger as I had been meaning to do a tutorial like yours but got knocked off track as I love using the Xbox controler as you can sit back relax and it was the cheaper and better option than a good gaming mouse and a few people have asked about this option, as the wired controller is good but the wireless option is much much better. Nice work

spacebooger

thanks, it was such a pain i didnt see this method online so just started going through it myself and worked perfect, so much better then the mouse and keyboard haha i actually have the wireless setup but dont know what i did with the adapter for it...so this was easier then going and buying another lol

forJAT

Does this apply for the Razer 360 controller? I am going to be picking one of those up soon.

spacebooger

Does this apply for the Razer 360 controller? I am going to be picking one of those up soon.
It would apply to any 360 controller being used on the pc whether wireless or not, if your controller when connected doesn't automatically install the driver.

AeonSoul

If anyone needs I got a way to install a PS3 controller so it emulates an X360 controller. Only downside is that you need a permanent internet connection it seems.

Ochimo

Bah :) I like windows 8 on my AW 18 as long as I don't use the Metro UI. I use a 3rd party program to give me back the start menu and voila! Windows 8 is faster than 7 and I find it to be more stable.
Now on my MS surface pro I love the metro UI. GO figure :)

OG1-KENOBI

I first bought a fake (found out after the fact ) off ebay that wouldn't recognize the reciever then I just bought a combo pack inc a controller and it auto installed just fine on windows 7 for me. I need my controller for so many games.

shankc

Yeah I must say OG1 I find it much better with the Xbox controller in so many ways. Its easier to to just sit back and relax and your eyes don't feel half as bad after a marathon session as you can sit well back and most of the controls transfer over to other games without having to set them up again

MattyB

I find that I can't snipe nearly as well as I can with the mouse. It's definitely the way to go for racing games though. Sitting back and relaxing is the way to go! I'm sure I would get the hang of the controller for FPS's if I put some time into it. Never really ever played Xbox or PS so I've never honed my skills.