Mid-Level AW17

I don't know if this is called mid-level. :D Just ordered mine today! Anybody got the same specs?
First Alienware machine which I am hoping to get the best of for at least 3-4 years. I don't know if this is future proof but hoping that this will be adequate for upcoming releases!

Alienware 17 Alienware 17
Processor 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz)
Memory 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M with 3GB GDDR5
Hard Drive 750GB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200 RPM) + 64gb SSD Caching
LCD 17.3" WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Welcome to the family! Good to see another Aussie around here.

No machines are ever completely future proof since most companies bring out new components every year. The plus with getting the 17 is that you can upgrade most of the parts yourself in the coming years as long as the ports stay the same.
Did you order it from Dell? If you have a student card or RAA, NRMA, RACQ...etc you can get some discounts. Hopefully the told you.

Good luck. Hopefully you get it ASAP!

As MattyB said, you'll be able to upgrade the parts yourself. They won't be cheap and might be harder to find outside of eBay but it'll be cheaper and more economical than buying an entirely new laptop whenever the next thing comes out.
I learned that the hard way when I bought the M14x XP, go big or go home.

unikr0n

Jun 17, 2013
tennessee
i got the base model 17 and i added an extra 8gb memory to 16gb total. and added a 120gb ssd as the boot drive and put the 750gb to second bay for storage. the display is only 1600x900. i regrettably (sort of) not upgrading the gtx 765m to atleast a 770. although arma 3 on ultra settings seemed to run about 30-40fps. i don't know. maybe i'll upgrade it to a 780m when i can find one at a reasonable price and not $800usd

anyway with all that said. you will LOVE your new AW17. it's a slick machine. you'll get much better results with that 770. i've read that its quite abit faster than the 765. i see you being able to play bf4 on max settings @ 50-60 fps with 1080p res with no problem. you'll definitely want to invest in a cooler master laptop cooler. AW laptops aren't liquid cooled like their desktops are and get extremely hot if you're not careful.