Modded X51 R2 - in progress

MURRARI

Well, it's been a while. I decided to scrap the external radiator idea after watching YouTube reviews on the Corsair H5. Shortly thereafter I made a purchase on a slightly used H5. I'll be installing soon and providing y'all with an update and great photos. Stay tuned.

MURRARI

I was finally successful at bending the socket pins!!! Now my motherboard sees all 16GB of RAM and passes the bench test.

That being said I gave the lighting a facelift with a new corsair node.

Today I'll be installing the Corsair H5 cooler and GTX 1080 FE.

IMG_4082.JPG IMG_4083.JPG IMG_4084.JPG IMG_4085.JPG

MURRARI

Well, bad news. The Corsair H5 doesn't fit in the case. Guess I'll just go another route and do a custom loop as originally planned. For now it is finished. I did some cable management and installed the GTX 1080 FE. Tonight I'm going to put her to the test.

See photos below.

IMG_4097.JPG
IMG_4098.JPGIMG_4099.JPGIMG_4100.JPGIMG_4101.JPG

MURRARI

Well, I am happy overall with this build. The only thing that concerns me is the cpu cooling issue. The next mod is to cut a whole on the left panel so the cpu cooler can expel air directly out the side of the case. I ordered a couple Noctua air coolers to see which one I prefer and which one fits inside the case better. I will probably liquid cool this pc in the future but for now I will take the path of least resistance and air cool it.

I will post some photos and temp comparisons in the near future.

MURRARI

Last night I installed the Noctua NH-L9X65 cooling system. It works beautifully, I can't wait until I have this side panel modded to exhaust the heat. This build is proving successful!

IMG_4304.JPGIMG_4305.JPGIMG_4306.JPGIMG_4307.JPGIMG_4308.JPGIMG_4309.JPG

MURRARI

Installed these 40mm exhaust fans this past weekend. They work really well and are Intel branded with hydraulic bearings. So pleased with them.IMG_4427.JPGIMG_4428.JPGIMG_4429.JPGIMG_4431.JPGIMG_4432.JPG

MURRARI

Very nice And your home looks very tiddy too..:)
Thanks! We run a tight ship around here. I’m still working on this machine. There has been a delay as we just had our first child and he was born 2 months early. All is well, it is just difficult to spread my time between work, our son, and my hobbies. Hopefully I can complete my build this spring.

8*sectorb6

Best of,to you all!

Guess your little one will get a 2 month head start on 1st Raspberry pi project

MURRARI

**UPDATE**

I scored a 28” 4K monitor and will be wall mounting it soon. Such a lovely addition to the build.

I acquired I Dremel tool with a hole drilling jig also, now I can make custom “crop circle” designed exhaust ports!

Stay tuned. I’ll post photos of the new monitor and cable management soon enough.

8*sectorb6

Did you hear about the lady who went to a drapery store?
She asked the clerk for curtains to fit her Monitor.
The clerk replied, " monitors don't need curtains"!

She said, " Hello! I have windows!!!

Last edited:

TwacMC

Hey man sweet build. Are you still here? I got a crazy idea to build a whole new pc in the x51 case. I just am not surr if i limit myself with the 330 psu and put in a 1060 or get a modular psu and connect power cables straight to board and not the original power board, any tips of deciding? Also sweet rgb install only makes it look more badass!!

MURRARI

Hey man sweet build. Are you still here? I got a crazy idea to build a whole new pc in the x51 case. I just am not surr if i limit myself with the 330 psu and put in a 1060 or get a modular psu and connect power cables straight to board and not the original power board, any tips of deciding? Also sweet rgb install only makes it look more badass!!
Thanks man. Yeah I’m still here. I decided to go another direction with this and I am in the middle of moving my family so I plan on picking back up on this soon.

This case has its limits but if you are creative where there is a will there is a way. HDPLEX makes a 800W sff power supply that you can install in place of the stock Alienware pay and you can essentially install any GPU you want. Also, if you do some of the mods I did to my case you will be able to upgrade everything, motherboard, ram, cpu, GPU, psu, on and on.

If you want pointers don’t hesitate to hit me up on my Instagram. instagram.com/i12bliev

Happy modding!

Last edited:

TwacMC

Thanks man. Yeah I’m still here. I decided to go another direction with this and I am in the middle of moving my family so I plan on picking back up on this soon.

This case has its limits but if you are creative where there is a will there is a way. HDPLEX makes a 800W sff power supply that you can install in place of the stock Alienware pay and you can essentially install any GPU you want. Also, if you do some of the mods I did to my case you will be able to upgrade everything, motherboard, ram, cpu, GPU, psu, on and on.

If you want pointers don’t hesitate to hit me up on my Instagram. instagram.com/i12bliev

Happy modding!
Hey I started to cut the back IO shield for a new motherboard I'm installing, was planning to do 40mm fans back there as well. How ever I was wondering if instead of cutting a 120 mm on side panel for my cpu fan, if installing 2 80 mms in the side of the cooler would still be good. I am still planning to do another 80 mm fan right were you did your btw.

MURRARI

Hey I started to cut the back IO shield for a new motherboard I'm installing, was planning to do 40mm fans back there as well. How ever I was wondering if instead of cutting a 120 mm on side panel for my cpu fan, if installing 2 80 mms in the side of the cooler would still be good. I am still planning to do another 80 mm fan right were you did your btw.
Which side are you referring to for the 120mm fan? The panel that covers the chassis or the panel that covers the components?