test

Modded X51 R2 - in progress

TwacMC

Which side are you referring to for the 120mm fan? The panel that covers the chassis or the panel that covers the components?
Hey, I was referring to the fan that that covers the components. I am planning on getting a big shuriken 120mm but I was thinking about how the airflow would be since the panel is covering the fan. I will regardless install on the same panel a 80mm fan that will pull hot air out of case. Also i was planning on doing the same as you and putting a 80mm fan but I will put a 1060 evga single fan card and was wondering if pulling air into the case would be better or pulling air out in front of graphics card since heat rises but it will be right next to it Overall just wanted to know how much the cpu cooler fan would be impacted if i dont have a cut out in front of it but have air being pulled into it and also have hot air leave the case. Sorry for lots of questions just really like the build you got going and I have never made a custom PC, only regular desktop builds.

MURRARI

Hey, I was referring to the fan that that covers the components. I am planning on getting a big shuriken 120mm but I was thinking about how the airflow would be since the panel is covering the fan. I will regardless install on the same panel a 80mm fan that will pull hot air out of case. Also i was planning on doing the same as you and putting a 80mm fan but I will put a 1060 evga single fan card and was wondering if pulling air into the case would be better or pulling air out in front of graphics card since heat rises but it will be right next to it Overall just wanted to know how much the cpu cooler fan would be impacted if i dont have a cut out in front of it but have air being pulled into it and also have hot air leave the case. Sorry for lots of questions just really like the build you got going and I have never made a custom PC, only regular desktop builds.

My plan is to create an intake port directly above the CPU fan. I think that will drastically help the interior temp.

TwacMC

My plan is to create an intake port directly above the CPU fan. I think that will drastically help the interior temp.
Yea I will drill my hole today, worse case scenario i just change orientation of fan. Also how did you mount the fan to the panel? I want to avoid as many unnecessary holes as possible.

MURRARI

Yea I will drill my hole today, worse case scenario i just change orientation of fan. Also how did you mount the fan to the panel? I want to avoid as many unnecessary holes as possible.

I mounted it to the chassis with coarse thread fan screws.

TwacMC

I mounted it to the chassis with coarse thread fan screws.
Sounds good man I brought my threaded screw driver from work and will cut out and thread to fit in. I will think if I want to go for a intake or exhaust since my gpu will be right in front of it.

Last edited:

TwacMC

Yo man me again, I installed my intake fan, motherboard, ram, cpu, cpu cooler and powerboard. Id like to know if i install the io board what connections have to be made. I have a idea but not 100% sure so i can plan on everything else

MURRARI

Yo man me again, I installed my intake fan, motherboard, ram, cpu, cpu cooler and powerboard. Id like to know if i install the io board what connections have to be made. I have a idea but not 100% sure so i can plan on everything else

Good deal.

Just hook it up like it was. The only cable you won’t use is the small one from the bottom of the power board that I think monitored the temps on that board.

TwacMC

Good deal.

Just hook it up like it was. The only cable you won’t use is the small one from the bottom of the power board that I think monitored the temps on that board.
Never had it to begin with purchased everything for a brand new. However I assume sata is powering it and a connection to the usb port of my motherboard?

TheAssistMan

Hi there. I have been scouring the internet for information on alienware x51 R2 upgrades forums and this seems to be the place with the most experience with it so far. I was looking to build a mini itx gaming pc to put in my living room on the TV stand. I already have a 1060 6gb open air card with two fans (everyone keeps saying the best card for the upgrade is the FE though). I found someone selling a second hand x51 R2 and I thought I'd buy it and use my card. Its the 330w version. The card length is just under 9 inches, but it has the two fans. Would this be possible, and or advisable? Didn't want to waste money buying the pc if I can't use my card. I also can't buy the blower fan variety. I'm in south Africa and they are either very hard to find, or very expensive. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer me. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• preview.cskc-4334-ga40.0.photo.X3V96Q9S51.jpg
    preview.cskc-4334-ga40.0.photo.X3V96Q9S51.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 3

MURRARI

Hi there. I have been scouring the internet for information on alienware x51 R2 upgrades forums and this seems to be the place with the most experience with it so far. I was looking to build a mini itx gaming pc to put in my living room on the TV stand. I already have a 1060 6gb open air card with two fans (everyone keeps saying the best card for the upgrade is the FE though). I found someone selling a second hand x51 R2 and I thought I'd buy it and use my card. Its the 330w version. The card length is just under 9 inches, but it has the two fans. Would this be possible, and or advisable? Didn't want to waste money buying the pc if I can't use my card. I also can't buy the blower fan variety. I'm in south Africa and they are either very hard to find, or very expensive. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer me. Thanks in advance

Using a heatsink and fan style cooler is going to trap the heat inside the X51 case so without modification it is highly unadvisable.

The x51 works best with a blower style GPU. Hope that helps.

MURRARI

UPDATE 02232020:

I have decided to take this project in a slightly different direction and have finally made time to complete the project. I’m not going to be using a GTX 1650 in this build and have changed some other components over as well. I modified the chassis to make room for a new WD Black M.2 and provide better air flow.

Stay tuned in for more updates.

9C91EA48-010D-498D-B435-542DFC8C93EA.jpegAB583C12-3117-4394-B451-6853BB7A7882.jpeg55DA5B50-FBA2-4F31-B949-880441E8E954.jpeg

MURRARI

I COMPLETED the project this evening, very pleased with it.

System Specs:

MOBO: Asus Z97i-plus
CPU: Intel i7-4790
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master G100M
RAM: Hyper X 8GB
BOOT/STORAGE: WD Black 500GB M.2
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1650 LP OC
PSU: HD Plex 200W
FX LIGHTING: Corsair Node RGB strips
EXHAUST FAN: Noctua NF-8 Redux

412F1BF9-5A62-4784-A957-4C1E80581BCC.jpegA8A9B823-5897-4625-ABD5-F2E8BFDC2812.jpeg8A5F99BB-9118-4927-A677-84F5637A21CC.jpeg3FF48E50-2062-4E9B-A16B-8CCE18B1A4BE.jpeg0540CCFE-41C5-4CFC-896F-C5BA7183D7A0.jpeg41DE7DF9-6C91-4B8C-8130-A3F2E55F1749.jpegC01594DF-ED00-4B0A-A846-C3513C190D6A.jpeg

Last edited:

UlbertAlainOdle

Hi, I'm going to build a custom PC inside the Alienware X51 case, I think, will the server Flex power supply (Delta 400W Flex PSU) fit inside?