Motherboard upgrade for a R1

Marty

Sep 27, 2015
Is there any motherboard in existence, that would fit inside the X51 R1 without modification?
Can we order the R3 motherboard direct?
Do any 3rd party manufactures make or manufacture any board that is even remotely close to fitting inside this case?

I'd like to see if we can collate and create a repository of applicable replacement and "hop up" parts for the R1 so that we can have a "go to" place for any upgrades.

For example.
We know the R2 power board fits and works in the R1
The R2 external power brick works with the R1
Any Gen 3 CPU can be installed but not overclocked
Any GPU up to 980ish (give or take power requirements and "hop ups"
Any memory up to 1600 can be Installed up to 16GB
Any SSD/HDD

But motherboard, ... We have absolutely no solutions in place, even a poor choice (last resort) would be better than nothing.

Any ideas,
Anyone interested in adding too and assisting in creating a list of products that we KNOW can be used to increase the life of this little beast?

Anyone know of any other parts, links etc for ways to increase the life cycle of the R1 owners club?

FOXHOUND

Sep 11, 2015
Good question , I read on some forums that it's possible and to enter in the Service Tag for R2 Board in the Bios. Both board are the same size but some of the ports on the back might not fit the same spaces in the chassis. This is also what i found on some dell forums, just so people know what the max CPU they can use in their current system whether it's Revision 1 board or Revision 2 board.

X51R1

I3-2120 3.3GHz

I5-2320 Quad Core, 3.0GHz

I5-3450 Quad Core, 3.10GHz

i7-2600 Quad Core, 3.4GHz

I7-3770 Quad Core,3.4GHz

X51R2

I3-4130 3.4 GHz

I3-4150 3.5 GHz

i5-4430 Quad Cores, 3.0 GHz

I5-4440 3.1 GHz

I5-4460 3.2 GHz

i7-4770 Quad Cores 3.4 GHz

I7-4790 3.6 GHz

Here's my source
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19582704

Edit: I forgot to add, I wouldn't bother trying to fit a different make or model mobo in my x51 due to the chassis having to be modified. Have a look at this video for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMsLZcd0Qc

Nomac5

Oct 14, 2015
That guy did a hack job with his case I'm 99% sure I can do that alot cleaner lol.

I have been wondering the same though.

Maybe keep the external power brick and just get a atx 24 pin extension cable, add a small liquid cooling system... Mini cooling rad and fans.

Then go with the new 6700k even.

The new r3 never chnaged the PSU this tells me there is just enough juice for this to be done I think. I alrdy have a 970 with r2 power board.

Some mini atx boards line up CPU and PCI and atx 24 pin plus very closely so I may attempt this.

FOXHOUND

Sep 11, 2015
@Nomac5 Lol That's exactly what i thought. Reading his YT comments made it funnier.

I'm currently waiting to purchase an R2 Power Board off a member here to put into my R1 so i can put GTX 970 into it, also need to order myself a 330w PSU. Once that's done i should have no problems with playing Witcher 3, and Fallout 4 etc.. I'm currently on a GTX 645 OEM GPU and it's really bad with games that are coming out today.

You could try attempt it mate like you said you could probably do the job a lot cleaner then that youtuber. My plan was to just upgrade to 970 then save for a Custom Build in the near future. 970 should be good for a bit. I replaced my Ram Recently with 8 GB instead of 6 though i replaced with original SK Hynix Ram. i'll prob attempt to use G.Skill RipJaws or Corsair Vengence in the future 2x8.

Nomac5

Oct 14, 2015
Ya the 970 gives u over 100 fps on ultra in most games. Maybe not the either though lol. The only reason I want a new motherboard is because arma 3 needs more ghz per core to get decent fps. Pos game lol

I love arma 3 though

Marty

Sep 27, 2015
It'll be interesting to know if/how they fit, and at what cost.

My main issue is cost as I can sell my x51 With a 970/16GB/SSD etc for a relatively good price, pay the difference of only a hundred pound or so, and have high end R3 that I can build upon.

The idea of grabbing a 3rd party board, is that some can be had for as little as £30/£40 where as dell charge a fortune for theirs.

I got my R2 power board, delivered next day, by UPS, factory sealed and warranty + receipt for only £35 which made sense, but the motherboard would have to be as cheap as 3rd party manufactures for it to be viable for me, otherwise, the best option would be sell the current version, upgrade to the new with money you were going to pay for the motherboard.

Interesting to see how it all fits in, what features we lose etc though.