test

Must be joking... 750

Andrew_J994

Everyday we stray further and further from god.

Spent $290 for my black system, $150 for case from PA, $90 for 680i & Internals from FL, and $50 PSU from microcenter

Lost an ALX for $99 last week with Mobo, CPU, RAM, Unknown PCIe Card and OEM Liquid cooler.

$750 is way tooooooo much for this, If i wanted a green ALX that bad I'd paint an ALX Green or Paint & Chrome my own lol

Kaos8706

I saw this listing too soon as I saw the price I just clicked the back button while shaking my head

Eakers

It is a real ALX though, with the sound-proof foam, and the shiny outside...

I might pay $250 + shipping, but nothing more. I could see someone going as high as $350, if they really wanted the special features. I have yet to see that many ALX varieties left.

That guy is local to me. He got a black ALX and swapped the chrome parts out for the silver ones on the green. And installed them on the ALX interior chassis. So it is an ALX but was originally black.

I am dieing to find that exact system color and chrome accents. It's likely never to happen.

He's actually the guy who I got my area 51 R1 from for a reasonable if slightly high $230 plus gas and tolls. Nice guy, I helped him via text to get it all swapped over to that config.

If I didn't have 2 7500s and my area 51 R1, I'd be pushing him hard to sell it to me. Lol

Andrew_J994

That guy is local to me. He got a black ALX and swapped the chrome parts out for the silver ones on the green. And installed them on the ALX interior chassis. So it is an ALX but was originally black.

Thats the ALX i lost, so hes making Fake ALXs?

Mkbvb

I am dieing to find that exact system color and chrome accents. It's likely never to happen.

He's actually the guy who I got my area 51 R1 from for a reasonable if slightly high $230 plus gas and tolls. Nice guy, I helped him via text to get it all swapped over to that config.

If I didn't have 2 7500s and my area 51 R1, I'd be pushing him hard to sell it to me. Lol
Wow, I knew something was up!!! I remember the green
Thats the ALX i lost, so hes making Fake ALXs?
and selling them at a ridiculous premium...

Wow, I knew something was up!!! I remember the green

and selling them at a ridiculous premium...

I think he said he found that alx at a goodwill maybe? He bought the green one from a guy local, I tried to buy it 2 years ago but the guy wouldn't budge. He's also selling it here but has disclosed that it's a Frankenstein. I mean it's only the color he changed. I still think $750 is nuts but there are people out there who may be willing to pay. I can't understand how people pay what they do for alienware stuff on eBay.

Andrew_J994

Yup i lost it by 1 dollar on the goodwill site. the issue here is that its not disclosed on ebay because people on the forum we’d imagine would know better. Also to support your claim of exchanging panels; AFFECD17-6636-4CDF-B5F0-EF3ABB35318F.jpeg

Yeah I suppose but he's giving you everything an ALX would come with minus the original exterior paneling, which is a far better color. No claims here, I know that is what he did because I was answering questions he had. At the time I didn't know he intended to sell it. I thought he was going to use it for himself.

I'd think had I not said anything you would never be able to tell unless we had the means to look like his original serial and see it was black. Instead of green.

As far as I know he swapped everything. What is concerning is I don't see the USB cable for the active card, nor the connector for the alienfx card to the motherboard. I'd also question the need for the 2 pin power from the 24 pin atx.

But either way I'm not in for that kind of cash I'd buy it and use a passive card. I'd probably gut the front to put in a 360mm radiator. My hobby isn't originality, it's modifying to fit modern hardware.

Andrew_J994

I would also not have an issue if it was for his own intended use, but i know what that ALX sold for and the profit percentage blows me away if some was to buy it at that price.

And I had discussed in private with another forum member that those connectors you mentioned were in fact missing, and can only be taken from a different system or custom made.

I also would've known because I saw the corner of the green without chrome in a different listing, upon discovering I asked if he was willing to sell. At that point I realized this was the person I lost the ALX to.

And I agree that amount is way too much, I don't know if Id exactly resto-mod it by cutting chassis but if I wanted to Id refit it with better hardware If it were to become a usable rig which It would've anyway for friends and family that I would have over.

This type of bafoonary is what drives communities apart, and I don't want to see that happen here. The only reason this is happening is over the sheer amount of greed and deception to the common consumer, say some one on eBay, who has been looking for an ALX, not knowing what they're worth, and then come to the forum here to find out they've got a frankensteined case.

I see your point, and I agree, it's not a big deal to me as it might be to others, I don't have any use for vintage PCs. I just want flashy alienware look, and that case in that configuration oozes it, so I see his angle. He did have a fair amount into the green case too, I forget what he told me, but it was kind of a lot for what it was.

Last edited:

LukeG310

I would love to get ALX foam panels for my ALX P2.1. The price is insane.

alienwarebob

Posted here to the forum on Monday at 12amish: https://www.alienowners.com/threads/alienware-alx-r8-transplant.8164/

it’s definitely a transplant as I bought 2 systems and migrated the green panels over. AFAIK they ever made a green alx? I could be wrong.

I am including a brand new $300 power supply and was hoping to get $400 for the case, which is how I arrived at the asking price and added offers thinking I’d get something closer to $600. I didn’t want to commit to the legacy parts working from the $150 ($99 plus shipping!) ALX I purchased, but planned to just include them in the box with it, which made it slightly heavier than the black one I also had from the transplant. Tons of collectors out there and I got a lot of great feedback into the setup. Was a PITA to transport and clean thoroughly. Needless to say it had all of the adapters including the USB cable, that I should have also put in the photos.
My apologies to you all, definitely didn’t intend to frustrate collectors, which is why I posted here on the forums the same time I put up the eBay listing.

- bob

Mkbvb

Posted here to the forum on Monday at 12amish: https://www.alienowners.com/threads/alienware-alx-r8-transplant.8164/

it’s definitely a transplant as I bought 2 systems and migrated the green panels over. AFAIK they ever made a green alx? I could be wrong.

I am including a brand new $300 power supply and was hoping to get $400 for the case, which is how I arrived at the asking price and added offers thinking I’d get something closer to $600. I didn’t want to commit to the legacy parts working from the $150 ($99 plus shipping!) ALX I purchased, but planned to just include them in the box with it, which made it slightly heavier than the black one I also had from the transplant. Tons of collectors out there and I got a lot of great feedback into the setup. Was a PITA to transport and clean thoroughly. Needless to say it had all of the adapters including the USB cable, that I should have also put in the photos.
My apologies to you all, definitely didn’t intend to frustrate collectors, which is why I posted here on the forums the same time I put up the eBay listing.

- bob
I can only speak for myself as a collector and enthusiast. I think you did yourself a disservice. I’m my opinion you devalued both units by swapping parts. Personally, I would much rather have an original ALX and Aurora than a combination of the two. I was seriously considering purchasing the green Aurora prior to it being removed from FBM. As far as the price, (imho) I think you would have been better off cleaning/restoring the black ALX as I think you could have gotten 400 and maybe 500 for that alone.