My Alienware 18 was stolen !!!!!!

bhgrove

:( Someone in Dallas/Fort Worth stole my Alienware 18.... If anyone sees one for sale on craigslist or other site like that please let me know.:( Service Tag #86L9RY1

sway

Ah man I'd kick some ass, sorry to hear that. I'll keep my eyes open.

tappin from the neXus 5

bhgrove

Can you post the specs of it. I'll keep an eye out too.
Intel i7-4700MQ 3.4 GHz
8 GB DIMM
(2) 750 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drives
18-Inch Screen, Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 780m
Windows 8 Home Premium (64bit)

Sarah

I am really sorry to hear about your stolen laptop bhgrove :( Here's hoping it can find it's way back to you soon. There's some real low life out there :(

Is the machine covered by insurance for the event of theft?

timeshift

sorry to hear that you got such a bad luck .
did you have the tracking thing from BIOS turned on ?

i think we should keep a look-out for the same configuration but with 1 HDD as well .
just in case the thief is really smart and wants to get away with this .

i really hope the police will catch whoever did this and you would get your laptop back !

timeshift

Security Menu

Supervisor Password
Displays if the supervisor password is clear or set.
User Password
Displays if the user password is clear or set.
Set Service Tag
Displays the service tag of the computer when the service tag is present.
Displays a field to input the service tag manually when the service tag is absent.
Set Supervisor Password
Allows you to set the supervisor password. The supervisor password controls access to the system setup utility.
Set User Password
Allows you to set the user password. The user password controls access to the computer at boot.
Computrace
Allows you to enable or disable Computrace security feature.

isn't Computrace a tracking thing ? it sounds to me like it is .
never tried it , plus my laptop still hasn't arrived :-S

kennyx13

How do I activate this on my alienware 17? Do all alienwares have this pre installed? It is asking me for a registration code.

Alienwulf

Follow the link I posted above, click on the questions it gives answers. You pay a fee for software that activates the program in the bios so they can track your notebook where ever it is. even pulling the hard drives and installing a new windows won't stop it from calling for help as soon as they the thief hooks it to the internet.

bhgrove

I got a new Alienware 18 today. Little better specs than the one that was stolen will post later. But has anyone noticed that the serial number is not printed on the unit only the service tag. They told me that pawn shop searches are only done by the serial number. Where is my serial number found?

timeshift

i would not know where they are located , since only tomorrow i should get my laptop from Service .
but the Service wrote me in the Service papers they sent me , they wrote me the serial number and model number .
you should also have them on your alienware box , somewhere on the side of it there's a sticker with a bar code and serial numbers .

so ... you had to buy a new one , or how did you get a new one ? insurance ?

Sarah

Hey, really happy to hear about the new 18 :) Has it arrived yet or still on order? At least you'll be back up and gaming again now :)

Are the serial number and service tags not stored in the bios and visible in the F12 setup screens?

bhgrove

No insurance but I wasn't going to do without so goodbye cash Hello alienware. ALIENWARE 18 i7-4900MQ OVERCLOCKED 32GB 750GB 120GB SSD GTX770M SLI 1080P 8 Pro Got it on ebay factory refurbished for $2200.00 looks and works like new. I have the box that the stolen one came in and there is no serial # on it. I got the SN by calling dell and giving them the service tag #. I already installed the LOJACK on the new one $45.00 per year......... Hindsight is 20/20 !!

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Mr. Fox

Since you called 1-800-ALIENWARE to reported to them that the machine is stolen, they should be able to flag the Service Tag as a stolen machine in their system. If service and support is ever sought for that Service Tag, they might be able to assist in the recovery of the machine. Hopefully, the person that stole the thing (or the dummy that bought a stolen laptop) will be stupid enough to try to re-register it with Alienware as the new owner and get snagged.

The Service Tag actually is a serial number and uniquely identifies the machine and its rightful owner. It is on a label and also visible in the BIOS.

Sorry to hear that happened.

Six Security Apps That Can Help Recover a Stolen Laptop | PCMag.com

Last edited:

Ochimo

Yes I have mine turned on with Absolute software. Even if the wipe the HDD or remove it and replace it, my laptop will still relay its location and allow the police to recover it. Think Lojack (actually the name of the program) for laptops.