Video Card:
2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M

Hard Drive:
Single Drive 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s

LCD Panel (Resolution):
1920 x 1080

Wireless Card:
Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video and Bluetooth 4.0

I left the Memory, Video Card and Hard Drive at base because I will be self-upgrading it later.

I am un-sure about the Processor and Wireless Card. Is the "3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/Turbo Boost 2.0)" good enough for any game, etc? What is the big difference between the i7-3630QM, i7-3740QM and the i7-3840QM?

Also, the Wireless Card, is the Killer really that much better? Is it worth the upgrade?

Maelstrom

I would go with the less expensive processor since all of them are overkill for all the games that are made today. The difference between the Killer Wireless and the best of Intels wifi cards is negligible. I would go with the Intel ones because they have other 'extras' that you can use with them. The only limiting factor in your rig is really the GPU but the one you have selected is still good and will run pretty much all games well.

Dhampir

Thank you for your help :)! I have left the processor at the first one (i7-3630QM), changed the Wireless card to Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 With Bluetooth 4.0.

I am going to self-change the Memory, Graphics card and Hard Drive later.

I also bought the 1 year Advanced Service Plan. Is that good? I don't feel I need it since I'm really careful with my items, but maybe it's good just in-case?

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Is the memory correct? 6GB using 2 dimms? I never heard of 3GB modules.

If it were me, I would upgrade only the parts that are a pain to upgrade after the fact. Like screen, CPU, and Video card. (Unless you already plan to re-paste everything) Warranties are hit and miss IMO. Things that are going to go bad normally go bad soon after the purchase thus covered under the 1 year warranty.

If you could get a discount on an upgraded warranty, say 2 or 3 year, then I would go for that.

Dhampir

Is the memory correct? 6GB using 2 dimms? I never heard of 3GB modules.

Yes. I selected the LOWEST M17x R4, and it gives you more options (well lower stat selections).

If it were me, I would upgrade only the parts that are a pain to upgrade after the fact. Like screen, CPU, and Video card. (Unless you already plan to re-paste everything)

My step-dad offered to change the parts if I wanted. He is an engineer. I'm also sure the Screen (Resolution) cannot be upgraded once you have it? But even so, I'm just stick with 1920 x 1080.

Warranties are hit and miss IMO. Things that are going to go bad normally go bad soon after the purchase thus covered under the 1 year warranty. If you could get a discount on an upgraded warranty, say 2 or 3 year, then I would go for that.

Unfortunately, I can't, so I will just stick to 1 year.

I have answered your message with my response in BOLD and RED colouring.

Dhampir

I think they use 1 x 2gb and 1 x 4gb. I could be wrong though.

These are the Memory selections you have:

6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz (2DIMMS)
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2DIMMS)
12GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS)
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS)
24GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS)
32GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS)

AeonSoul

The build is overall good.
I'd go for the mid processor just to stay safe, but even the lower one is still good for any game you plan to play in the future.
HDD and RAM shouldn't be hard to upgrade by yourself so that's good.

AeonSoul

Oh on a side not, I had no experience with Intel cards, but I can tell you so far that the Killer card works perfectly fine, not a single problem and never lost the signal once.

Dhampir