test

My experience upgrading an Area-51 R2 to 2020 specs

Cass-Olé

nvddx.jpg
Stock Intel coolers are by Asetek & are entry-level (budget) size 120x27mm wide, part# K31VH (R2) NVDDX (R4 R5)
TFGHMc - Copy.jpg
The photo you saw on the prior page is the factory / OEM AMD Threadripper cooler, two part #'s: TFGHM & HR6V4
215.jpg
Seen in the R3 R6 R7 models, made by Asetek, 120x48mm-49mm wide rad. When I chatted with Dell Spare Parts they quoted it at $215, but whether u get one from them or find something on eBay etc, it should come with the AMD TR4 socket retention ring which you would have to remove it & place on your own retainer, Asetek's Amazon store sells those. I lucked out on a pair of used TFGHM & did a post on putting new retainer on Aurora R4 CPU Cooler Upgrade, ThreadRipper (TFGHM)
PTDC0011.JPG

Last edited:

Domiratus

Hi All,

Do you have to drill holes to mount the PSU ? I am having problems with that. Can Anyone help me ?

Kind regards

Dominic

Chronox2

View attachment 3648
Stock Intel coolers are by Asetek & are entry-level (budget) size 120x27mm wide, part# K31VH (R2) NVDDX (R4 R5)
View attachment 3651
The photo you saw on the prior page is the factory / OEM AMD Threadripper cooler, two part #'s: TFGHM & HR6V4
View attachment 3649
Seen in the R3 R6 R7 models, made by Asetek, 120x48mm-49mm wide rad. When I chatted with Dell Spare Parts they quoted it at $215, but whether u get one from them or find something on eBay etc, it should come with the AMD TR4 socket retention ring which you would have to remove it & place on your own retainer, Asetek's Amazon store sells those. I lucked out on a pair of used TFGHM & did a post on putting new retainer on Aurora R4 CPU Cooler Upgrade, ThreadRipper (TFGHM)
View attachment 3650
Thanks man! By any chance... do you think this would cool down a ryzen 5900x?

Domiratus

No drilling here. Can you post some pictures?
Hi Egg, dont have it. I have someone building it but basically this main explain it :

Normal is on the left when it fit just right and my PSU is shorter. There is no where I can mount it.

So the PSU I am using is this :

CORSAIR - RM850x Modular ATX PSU - 850 W

Dimensions

150mm x 86mm x 160mm WxHxL ( The length is 160mm)

This is the one which is original:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Area-51-R5-1500w-PSU/td-p/6190965

I assume it longer and just holds .

I am getting the guy to fabricate a bracket for my corsair one . He told me he will do out of plastic ?

What do people think ? Should it be in plastic or in metal ?

Please let me know urgently.

Best Domiratus

Attachments

• psu config.png
    psu config.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 5

Domiratus

eg1122

I had to use the bios trick that's posted on these forums. Also I believe I did a bios update to the board sometime in between my tries but not sure.

Triad330670

Decided to try to install command center once again. This time it installed and no PC freeze. I now have fully functional lights on a z490 MSI board!
Dude, your success gives me such hope!

I have been so on edge about upgrading, so on edge :(

Cass-Olé

@Domiratus did u get PSU figured out? It should just drop / slide in & retain it w/four rear PSU screws, the case accepts ATX PSUs, I've never heard of one that needed special treatment. The RM850x should be about same size as the factory 850w

Domiratus

@Domiratus did u get PSU figured out? It should just drop / slide in & retain it w/four rear PSU screws, the case accepts ATX PSUs, I've never heard of one that needed special treatment. The RM850x should be about same size as the factory 850w
Hi Cass-Ole,

The computer guy I brought to made a custom bracket for it , but I think I made of made a mistake with selecting him. I usually would bring it to the one I trust but he is not open durying covid.

Ive been waiting 4 weeks for it back and still nothing. I spoke with im and now he is having trouble putting the radiator saying he needs other screws .

I wish there a place you can just get a custom PC built with the part you bought.

I will keep you posted hopefully I will know more in the next couple of days.

Kind regards

Dominic

Domiratus

Hi All,

Espically Cass-Ole ,

As promised updates :( now with pictures )

Front Side
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-08 at 11.27.12.jpeg

The Computer Guy I went to managed to get in all in , he saying it took him 7-9 Hours . ( I think it is a lie ? ) , Thoughts ?

Also see where the PSU finishes -- He sent me this showing that there is a bracket made in front of it .

Also cable management isnt great.

Points on this also :

Looks like on the bottom their our pins ( Power pins not connect_ < I assume this is for the side pannels

The coller looks a bit wierd , like it hanging , he said struggled with this.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-08 at 12.20.27.jpeg
Here is the other side.

Is this the way to put the SSD ? Or should it not go in the smaller DD4/DD5 bit on the left ?
Therefore leaving more room on the top and left for standard HHD for large file storage?
Was thinking to get 2 more 8TB drives and have 24Tb inside thoughts?

Also I want to get the CD drive back , whaty kind can you find or is a specfix one it needs to be ? Any advise on this would be appriacted.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-08 at 12.07.04.jpeg

This is how he put the graphic card and capture card in . Is it suppose to be like this ?

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-08 at 12.04.46.jpeg

So I assume it is good news that the lights are turning on the front . I haven't asked yet about the side ones but I will.

He is having trouble with getting the power button to work. Is there a simple guide out there or some advice.

I bought all the special cables but they haven't arrived yet, so waiting but he works in this field can he thought maybe he can get some cables from a Dell computers ?

Also if anyone could have a look at this whole thing and tell me what they think.

How can I improve this ?
How much do you think I should pay ? He orginally quoted me £100 , but then he said since I brought him a lot of business it would be £60 .
Now he mentioned £200 thoughts on this ? If I have to pay this much I want the job done perfectly.
How can I improve the cable mess ?

There may be stuff Im missing from this , so any input on everything would be greatly appriacted.

Please let me know.

Best

Domiratus

Cass-Olé

Z30gDt6.jpegTri 0b.jpg
*ODD BEZEL: You'd need the plastic ODD bezel / bracket, I don't have a part# for it, or you'd need to make a retainer yourself

*CD/DVD: Run your rear service tag & retrieve the part# for the original DVD or Blu-Ray, I sold my R2 case 3years ago but my tag said
DVD Part# X6P9P | DVD+/-RW,8X,SATA,9.5S,PSNC (Panasonic) … it's a 9.5mm super slim SATA Model UJ8C7 | Blu-Ray should be model UJ267 but I don't have a part# for those

s-l1600.jpg
*CD/DVD SATA POWER CABLE: tell shop owner building PC to save the DVD player's SATA + 4pin Molex Power cable, for use later, otherwise obtain part# 8FHRX

*SSD/HDD CADDY: some owners said that they didn't receive all of the SSD/HDD caddies on delivery after purchase, it's possible some cases do not have all of them even when new. For your HDD bays picture (right side of case), you're either missing the 2.5" SSD caddy & 3.5" HDD caddy (or it/they just aren't installed yet by the shop owner you hired). Typically the SSD(s) mounts in lower left caddy. I don't have the part# for it. The 3.5" caddy showing in your photo is supposed to have a 5-ditgit Dell part# tag on it, I don't have that #, you can remove your 3.5" caddy & check for the part tag & get the #, or look at the # stamped into the metal, it might be MZ6005C or similar

Whether the ODD bezel bracket, or HDD/SSD caddy, contact Dell Spare Parts & see if they have them if u need them, otherwise try google & keep an eye out on eBay for those

*NVME m.2 SSD: new motherboard appears to have an m.2 slot, get an SSD for it, make sure u have the screws to install it, that way u so

*PSU BRACKET: I cant tell from the angle of that pic what is in front of the PSU, post a better pic later … u can work on cable management later yourself

1.jpg
*TEMP SENSOR / SIDE PANEL: the new motherboard probably won't have a header for the old temp sensors, they can be removed & boxed, or hidden in the case. If motherboard has new temp sensors u can install them. Otherwise the side panel has an exposed contact plate that mates with the side panel, I don't see anything unusual there

FullSize.jpg
*POWER ON / FRONT PANEL PINOUT: the FIO board front panel header is left, the old motherboard header illustration is right, they are basic MSI front panel pinouts using a 5x5 (DuPont USB-type) connector. The new motherboard front panel header wiring has to match. Use motherboard owner manual or online PDF owner manual, goto section for front panel pinout & see if they're plug & play, or if not, your factory front panel connector needs to be modded (pins backed out & rearranged) til it is compatible

*MAKE / MODEL of new motherboard: what did u get? If it's an MSI like u said previously then the front panel pinout is a match, all you need is a longer front panel cable or buy an extension for the factory cable (for power button to work). Tell me make/model, I can look up the header pinout

*COLLER: "The coller looks a bit wierd , like it's hanging , he said struggled with this". What coller? What's hanging?

*GRFX / CAPTURE CARD: looks ok

I cant say how much was a good price for labor to remove/install all hardware, but to improve it, for now cable manage & get an m.2 NVME drive, try to source the missing caddies & DVD/bezel

Last edited:

Cass-Olé

Front IO H6HK9.jpg
If it wasn't obvious, the rear FIO board relays the circuit from the front Alienhead power on button TO the motherboard front panel header. You either re-use the short factory Panel1 cable & buy it an extender / extension of suitable length, or, buy a new front panel cable of about 22" or longer … if a new longer front panel cable isn't available then buy a standard 5x5 9pin (10 slots) USB cable & poke a hole in the blocked slot so it'll fit over the FP header (if USB cable is used, connector position pin9 typically needs a hole poked in it, see color FP pinout)

*NOTE: PWSW (power switch) from FIO FP header has to wire to mthrbrd PWSW pins for alienhead button to work, that's accomplished by extending the original FP1 cable or putting in a new longer FP cable

The USB cable also needs to be extended, or buy a longer 22" USB cable plugged into motherboard USB2.0 header for the lights to work (if builder did not connect or extend USB1)

*typo in prior post: *NVME m.2 SSD: new motherboard appears to have an m.2 slot, get an SSD for it, make sure u have the screws to install it, that way u so that way u can get faster newer better OS / storage etc from the NVME type drive

Last edited:

Domiratus

Hi Cass-Ole,

Thank you for all of this information. I can't tell you how helpful it is. Cant explain how greatlful I am.

As to all your comments see below :

As for this ODD Bezel:

1613174119360.png

Cant seem to find it but I will contact Dell. I have a picture of the Tag number from my Alienware Case. How do I go about contacting them about ? And does it matter that I am not orginal owner or do I have to pretend to be to get the parts ? Not sure how this process exactly works.

I could ask to see if I coukld fabircate something. I will see what the computer guy says, but just want my Alienware back now.

1613174261980.png

As for the SSD / HHD Caddies , I think I found one ebay :

1613174327034.png

I bought it hopefully this is correct. Seems to look correct also dell i.e :alienware x51 hard drive caddy mx60050a.

As for the small SSD Caddy, I can't seem to find one , Any suggestion here ?

I assume contact Dell and see if they can with Tag ?

This is the closest I have found:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M0R6IFW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AUCPBF2P18HS&psc=1

Also it is only for 1 ssd. I I cant find maybe I can create something here .... Any ideas ?

*CD/DVD: Run your rear service tag & retrieve the part# for the original DVD or Blu-Ray, I sold my R2 case 3years ago but my tag said
DVD Part# X6P9P | DVD+/-RW,8X,SATA,9.5S,PSNC (Panasonic) … it's a 9.5mm super slim SATA Model UJ8C7 | Blu-Ray should be model UJ267 but I don't have a part# for those

s-l1600.jpg
*CD/DVD SATA POWER CABLE: tell shop owner building PC to save the DVD player's SATA + 4pin Molex Power cable, for use later, otherwise obtain part# 8FHRX

So Basically:

This Drive :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-UJ26...545503?hash=item41ff351e5f:g:gCQAAOSwWk5cto92

This cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alien...078678&hash=item1ce9f4404f:g:PFgAAOSwo0dfZm4h

I may wait on this and get the normal tech guy I use. As he has some Apple drives for much cheaper / can fabricate bits.

I will ask the current PC Builder to keep this bit if it is there.

*NVME m.2 SSD: new motherboard appears to have an m.2 slot, get an SSD for it, make sure u have the screws to install it, that way u so

What you think of this one :

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S1T0)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MBQPQ62/ref=twister_B08FZ1G5QL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

*PSU BRACKET: I cant tell from the angle of that pic what is in front of the PSU, post a better pic later … u can work on cable management later yourself

I will ask him on Monday and get you some Pictures of it, but I saw in person and basically the PSU length is much shorter then the cage.

1.jpg
*TEMP SENSOR / SIDE PANEL: the new motherboard probably won't have a header for the old temp sensors, they can be removed & boxed, or hidden in the case. If motherboard has new temp sensors u can install them. Otherwise the side panel has an exposed contact plate that mates with the side panel, I don't see anything unusual there

Okay cool , put my mine at bit more a rest. I always think that everything has to be connected to something ect ect

FullSize.jpg
*POWER ON / FRONT PANEL PINOUT: the FIO board front panel header is left, the old motherboard header illustration is right, they are basic MSI front panel pinouts using a 5x5 (DuPont USB-type) connector. The new motherboard front panel header wiring has to match. Use motherboard owner manual or online PDF owner manual, goto section for front panel pinout & see if they're plug & play, or if not, your factory front panel connector needs to be modded (pins backed out & rearranged) til it is compatible

*MAKE / MODEL of new motherboard: what did u get? If it's an MSI like u said previously then the front panel pinout is a match, all you need is a longer front panel cable or buy an extension for the factory cable (for power button to work). Tell me make/model, I can look up the header pinout

The make / Model is:

MSI MEG Z490 ACE Motherboard ATX, LGA1200, DDR4, Dual LAN, 802.11ax WiFi 6 + Bluetooth 5.1, USB 3.2 Gen2, Lightning USB 20G, Type C, M.2, RGB Mystic L

This one :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0886Q4YTP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the manual:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C71v1.1.pdf

In the pictures, I have a 12 and 10 on the MSi board any ideas what the posts codes are I cant work it out.

continued on next post....

View attachment 3675
If it wasn't obvious, the rear FIO board relays the circuit from the front Alienhead power on button TO the motherboard front panel header. You either re-use the short factory Panel1 cable & buy it an extender / extension of suitable length, or, buy a new front panel cable of about 22" or longer … if a new longer front panel cable isn't available then buy a standard 5x5 9pin (10 slots) USB cable & poke a hole in the blocked slot so it'll fit over the FP header (if USB cable is used, connector position pin9 typically needs a hole poked in it, see color FP pinout)

*NOTE: PWSW (power switch) from FIO FP header has to wire to mthrbrd PWSW pins for alienhead button to work, that's accomplished by extending the original FP1 cable or putting in a new longer FP cable

The USB cable also needs to be extended, or buy a longer 22" USB cable plugged into motherboard USB2.0 header for the lights to work (if builder did not connect or extend USB1)

*typo in prior post: *NVME m.2 SSD: new motherboard appears to have an m.2 slot, get an SSD for it, make sure u have the screws to install it, that way u so that way u can get faster newer better OS / storage etc from the NVME type drive

Cass-Olé

eg1122

Hi Cass-Ole,

Thank you for all of this information. I can't tell you how helpful it is. Cant explain how greatlful I am.

As to all your comments see below :

As for this ODD Bezel:

View attachment 3676

Cant seem to find it but I will contact Dell. I have a picture of the Tag number from my Alienware Case. How do I go about contacting them about ? And does it matter that I am not orginal owner or do I have to pretend to be to get the parts ? Not sure how this process exactly works.

I could ask to see if I coukld fabircate something. I will see what the computer guy says, but just want my Alienware back now.

View attachment 3677

As for the SSD / HHD Caddies , I think I found one ebay :

View attachment 3678

I bought it hopefully this is correct. Seems to look correct also dell i.e :alienware x51 hard drive caddy mx60050a.

As for the small SSD Caddy, I can't seem to find one , Any suggestion here ?

I assume contact Dell and see if they can with Tag ?

This is the closest I have found:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M0R6IFW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AUCPBF2P18HS&psc=1

Also it is only for 1 ssd. I I cant find maybe I can create something here .... Any ideas ?

s-l1600.jpg

So Basically:

This Drive :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-UJ26...545503?hash=item41ff351e5f:g:gCQAAOSwWk5cto92

This cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alien...078678&hash=item1ce9f4404f:g:PFgAAOSwo0dfZm4h

I may wait on this and get the normal tech guy I use. As he has some Apple drives for much cheaper / can fabricate bits.

I will ask the current PC Builder to keep this bit if it is there.

What you think of this one :

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S1T0)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MBQPQ62/ref=twister_B08FZ1G5QL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I will ask him on Monday and get you some Pictures of it, but I saw in person and basically the PSU length is much shorter then the cage.

1.jpg

Okay cool , put my mine at bit more a rest. I always think that everything has to be connected to something ect ect

FullSize.jpg

The make / Model is:

MSI MEG Z490 ACE Motherboard ATX, LGA1200, DDR4, Dual LAN, 802.11ax WiFi 6 + Bluetooth 5.1, USB 3.2 Gen2, Lightning USB 20G, Type C, M.2, RGB Mystic L

This one :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0886Q4YTP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the manual:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C71v1.1.pdf

In the pictures, I have a 12 and 10 on the MSi board any ideas what the posts codes are I cant work it out.

continued on next post....

Cass-Olé
The power header for the z490 ace is identical to alienware motherboard header, but you need a longer cable or an extension.

Domiratus

continued ......

*COLLER: "The coller looks a bit wierd , like it's hanging , he said struggled with this". What coller? What's hanging?

1613176072043.png

It looks slight off like the screw is not right. He did tell me he lost the screw but then found it...

Not sure till I see in person.

*GRFX / CAPTURE CARD: looks ok

I cant say how much was a good price for labor to remove/install all hardware, but to improve it, for now cable manage & get an m.2 NVME drive, try to source the missing caddies & DVD/bezel

Agreed on GRFX and Capture Card but Thought for colling maybe spacing the would be better . But I assume it is done this way because of where the PCI slots are.

Aslo the following :

1613176463034.png

Note not mine. But I will have a blank space like the lower bit , Where do I get these metal plates ?

I know I can get stuff like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_..._osacat=0&_odkw=PCI++Slot+Back+Plate+alieware

But I want to get as OEM as possible any suggestion?

to be continued .....

Domiratus

View attachment 3675

Domiratus

1613178098161.png

The Red is for the connect For front panel alien head power button and led lights?

I assume I will need a cable for USB1 and for USB3? I assume these are the USB on the front of panel ?

Also, what is yellow ? Debugging?

Does this correspond with this on the motehrboard :

1613178120234.png

To the JFP1 front panel on the motherboard

Please advise. Sorry just don't have a clue. I assume on the R2 I am limited to USB 2.0 on the front panel?

I have purchased the following cables for all of this:

USB PIn Extenstion :
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Premium-USB-10-Pin-Internal-Header-Female-to-Female-Cable-50cm.html

Power Internal Cable for Alienhead :

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Power-Reset-SW-Power-HDD-LED-10-Pin-Internal-Motherboard-Cable.html

@eg1122 / Cass-Olé Please advise. Note I ordered these a while ago and still haven't come through. (1-month ago )

So I order some stuff on eBay yesterday which is the following:

USB PIn Extenstion :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akasa-EXUSBI-40-USB-Internal-Extension-Cable-40cm/302855410711?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shakmods-Front-Panel-Black-Sleeved-Power-Reset-HDD-LED-Extension-Cable-30cm-UK/151496645251?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also, I assume the side pannel lights get controlled from this cord as well ?

Are they correct?

Any advice on all of this would be again greatly appreciated.

Thank you again so much Cass-Ole , for all the help so far.

Best

Domiratus

eg1122

View attachment 3683

The Red is for the connect For front panel alien head power button and led lights?

I assume I will need a cable for USB1 and for USB3? I assume these are the USB on the front of panel ?

Also, what is yellow ? Debugging?

Does this correspond with this on the motehrboard :

View attachment 3684

To the JFP1 front panel on the motherboard

Please advise. Sorry just don't have a clue. I assume on the R2 I am limited to USB 2.0 on the front panel?

I have purchased the following cables for all of this:

USB PIn Extenstion :
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Premium-USB-10-Pin-Internal-Header-Female-to-Female-Cable-50cm.html

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Power-Reset-SW-Power-HDD-LED-10-Pin-Internal-Motherboard-Cable.html

@eg1122 / Cass-Olé Please advise. Note I ordered these a while ago and still haven't come through. (1-month ago )

So I order some stuff on eBay yesterday which is the following:

USB PIn Extenstion :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akasa-EXUSBI-40-USB-Internal-Extension-Cable-40cm/302855410711?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shakmods-Front-Panel-Black-Sleeved-Power-Reset-HDD-LED-Extension-Cable-30cm-UK/151496645251?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also, I assume the side pannel lights get controlled from this cord as well ?

Are they correct?

Any advice on all of this would be again greatly appreciated.

Thank you again so much Cass-Ole , for all the help so far.

Best

Domiratus
The two cables you ordered from ebay yesterday should work.