My M17x R4 got BSOD

shankc

Hi I had a couple of problems last night when I was gaming and with this being my first Alienware I'm not sure if I'm over reacting. I started playing far cry 3 about 11pm last night and it turned into a marathon session. But about 5am the game just froze and I had to restart my alien then about 2hours later I got the BSOD I'm not sure of the code as by that time I was rather weary lol. So my R4 (my specs are below)was going non stop for a 7 hour period and then another 2 hours before getting BSOD. So I don't no if it was just one of those things as I was using it for so long on the highest settings. This is my first gaming laptop so I have nothing to compare it to. It is about 10 month's old. So if any of you hardcore gamers could tell me if this is just a normal occurrence as I hammered it last night,not literally lol. I use a Xbox controller and my alien sits on a table with plenty of airflow. So any advice would be much appreciated

AeonSoul

Download WhoCrashed and check the crash dumps, if it's not clear post it here and we'll go from there.

MattyB

Have you overclocked your 7970 at all? temps could definitely be the problem. maybe give it a spring clean inside too.

shankc

Hi guys thanks for help but first off I have the option to overclocking in CCC but I don't Matty I added the extension on MSI afterburner a few months back but I only used it a couple of times as I don't believe in overclocking laptop cards after the reading I've done so it was at stock clocks. But I might get myself sum compressed air and give it a blow out but my highest temp was around 70 degrees c with core temp 1.0 RC5 and was only slightly warm to the touch. I'm not sure where do I find the dump files at aeon is it in the alien autopsy if you can tell me were to look I will post and hopefully that will help in diagnosis. I was talking to TheRetiredSlave on alienware arena and he says it could of just been because I was playing such a graphic intensive game for so long as it was a 9 hour non stop marathon session. I just got in the zone lol, I have my alien on a cooling pad but its not an active one its just a wedge shape with hundreds of 8 mm holes all over it. I will try and find out how find the dump files and post them I'm sure a Google search will reveal the location. Thanks for your help it's much appreciated

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Sorry AeonSoul does who crashed bring up the dump files. Is who crashed a type of analytic software I misread your post sorry. I will download and post tonight when I get back home thanks again

shankc

Well just had a 14 hour gaming sesh just about finished far cry 3 I love that game and this time no BSOD or freezing and I made sure I pushed when I found out it was going to cost £500 for 3 year warranty yesterday. A bit expensive I think so I'm just going to get the year nbd warranty £165 and hopefully that will do me