test

My m17x won't clear post

William Walker

After updating my firmware on my Alienware 17 Mx (deployment date September 2013) from the dell/Alienware drivers download site (www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/) and following the instructions given on the site, to perform this Firmware update . Once I was done doing this update, My 17 Mx would not even start POST, after pressing the power (on) button, my 17 MX will start both fans and light up, after no more than four seconds the fans will stop running, the (blue) light under the keyboard, power button, sides of the laptop's chassis will remain on and unflinching. No flashing lights will come from any place on the laptop, also no beeps will be produced. The display (screen) is black continuously, not a single pixel will light up. You can hear nor see any type of activity after the fans stop. I followed these institutions found on the Alienware/Dell site for correcting a no-post issue:
turn the power off
Remove all externally connected devices
Press and hold the the FN button while pressing the power button on
To run the ePSA Built-in Diagnostics, which resulted in nothing. Later I downloaded the Owners Manual (Alienware 17 Owner’s Manual; Computer model: Alienware 17 R1 Regulatory model: P18E Regulatory type: P18E001) and followed the instructions on removing the coin-battery and main battery in order to reset the CMOS, as per the instructions on the Alienware site:
- Turn the system off and disconnect the AC adapter
- Disconnect CMOS battery and system battery
- Do a power drain (press and hold power button 30 seconds)
- Reconnect CMOS battery and system battery
Replace any panels removed for access
Reconnect power supply and turn system on
Nothing changed, my system remains unresponsive. The Alienware site indicates that after doing all this and the problem persists, that the system has a hardware problem. This laptop is not just for playing games, I am handicapped and use it for working from home, I don't know what to do! It's warranty has expired and I am just scratching by to make ends meet.
The

William Walker

You updated the Bios?
Yes, I believe that to be true. At the Alienware/Dell.com download site, I noticed a firmware update posted sometime in the late 2014's. After the update finished (I don't recall if my laptop restarted on its own or I did) I started a game ( mass effect 2 or 3 ) a banner popped up which I had never seen before, something to do with not having the proper hardware to run the game and if I wanted to go ahead anyway. Instead I went to Device Manager and found my NVIDIA GPU greyed out, I right clicked into "properties" , on the front tab was a message stating something about reattaching it to the system hardware, later I found a number of other devices with the same message and greyscale. I thought that restarting my Alienware would solve the problem, and after that I did everything I was instructed to do at the Alienware/Dell site I mentioned above.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Try booting into the bios. I would check the setting for the video options. May be something with optimas.

William Walker

My machine won't clear POST, it won't even get to the Alienware Logo. I have tried pressing F2 and F12 keys without success, once I start the machine the (blue) LEDs under the keyboard, around the chassis, etc. will come on, followed by both fans, after four seconds the fans will stop, this is all I can get it to do, I have a DVD in CD-ROM and can't even get it to eject.

William Walker

I'm pretty sure that I have a hardware issue, but the laptop is only two years old and I have done nothing unusual to cause it to fail. I have read other posts that mentioned similar problems as mine, and after following the threads, these ended with Alienware/Dell providing repairs and good satisfaction. However, I have no idea how to get the same treatment, except by following these satisfied customers example and post on this and other forums.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
@William Walker

I see you said your warranty expired. Don't know if it is worth it to you but I had a similar problem out of warranty. I bought an extended warranty for $175 and 2 weeks later had Dell send a tech out to fix it. The replaced the video card and I ended up selling it on ebay and bought a new laptop.